Sanky versus ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin's_FJ40

Reaction score
Do all kegerators use Sanky couplers? When I purchase beer in a keg will they all have Sanky couplers? I don't plan to start brewing just yet but I just purchased 6 ball lock kegs and I'm wondering if I just threw my money away.

My kegerator came with commercial sanke connectors. However sanke, ball lock, and pin lock connectors all pretty much use a 1/4" swivel barb to connect your lines to whatever keg connector you use. Hence, with a few minutes and a wrench I was able to able to swap from sanke to ball lock without much issue. I put the sanke connectors in a box in case I ever bought a commercial keg.

Just buy a few ball lock liquid and gas disconnects and you'll be set.

Do all kegerators use Sanky couplers? When I purchase beer in a keg will they all have Sanky couplers? I don't plan to start brewing just yet but I just purchased 6 ball lock kegs and I'm wondering if I just threw my money away.

When you start homebrewing and using ball locks, you'll want to switch the lines in your kegerator to ball lock disconnects. Easy change. But, eventually you'll run out of homebrew and want to shove a sankey back in there. At that time, get the following adapters and replace the barbs on your sankey D coupler with them. Then you can connect your ball lock disconnects directly to any sankey keg.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7VKJWJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DF1RNT35E1ZJZ1A71TJX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1623502206076.png

No you did not throw your money away. It is a personal preference really. 5 gallon ball lock and pin lock kegs became popular when Pepsi and Coke switched over from Cornelius Kegs to bags. They were practically giving them away just to clear their warehouses. I remember going to the local distributor and buying ball lock kegs for $5.00 each! Today there are easy ways to combine different styles as others have described above.

Back