Sankey Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppersteak

Reaction score
I lurk here all the time here and I've learned a lot but this is my first post....

I have an empty sankey keg left over from a party that I was going to empty, clean and use to keg a batch of Amber that is ready.

It's a 5 gallon batch so there would be a lot of extra room in the 15 gal sankey keg and I am worried about oxidation.

In my corny keg I switch the gas line-in to the liquid line-out and pressurize the keg. That way the CO2 I am filling the corny with bubbles up from the bottom and sits below any oxygen left in there and then I bleed off the pressure to remove the oxygen in the corny to prevent oxidation.

My question is, since there is only one input in a sankey coupler how would you go about getting the oxygen out?

Thanks! Pepper

You should be able to vent it by putting a sanke coupler on it. Any sanke like this one should do the trick.

Just attach your co2 and a picnic tap, then let it fill a bit. After about 30 seconds, just press the picnic tap like you're pouring a beer, and it should vent all the o2.

Screw that. Go get a Corney keg and cut the top off of that Sanke keg and start building.

Yeah, I have a feeling that the sankey will be re-purposed pretty quickly as I get a little more experience. I only have one corney now and it's filled with an Imperial IPA. I just want to get this Amber out of the fermenter and carbed as quick as I can, it's been staring at me for a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back