Sanke setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovine_OB

Reaction score
Can you ferment in a factory sanke keg with a d type coupler and blowoff from the gas port? I have no experience with sanke style kegs, but came into some legally and want to experiment with fermenting in them.

Can you ferment in a factory sanke keg with a d type coupler and blowoff from the gas port? I have no experience with sanke style kegs, but came into some legally and want to experiment with fermenting in them.
You’d have to remove the gas check valve from the coupler

It's possible, but I'd be more concerned with cleaning and sanitizing everything before and after.

With the entire spear removed there are adapters sold that would allow you to ferment in a keg. The one I have seen is a two inch tri-clover with a special gasket.

Alright, I've had a turn of events in the past 24 hrs. To begin with, I ended up bidding on and winning 11 sankes in good shape (most brand new), and 15 corny kegs from a brewery going out of business. So I offered up for sale most of these kegs. Lo and behold a guy from just down the street wanted one so he came to pick it up and I come to find out he is a skilled stainless welder (actually makes items from defunct kegs, which is why he wanted a keg). After a little bartering, we agreed that he would take two kegs in exchange for welding 4" ferrules on two of the new kegs for me. Presto-chango I've got two pressure capable stainless 15 gal fermenters.

Alright, I've had a turn of events in the past 24 hrs. To begin with, I ended up bidding on and winning 11 sankes in good shape (most brand new), and 15 corny kegs from a brewery going out of business. So I offered up for sale most of these kegs. Lo and behold a guy from just down the street wanted one so he came to pick it up and I come to find out he is a skilled stainless welder (actually makes items from defunct kegs, which is why he wanted a keg). After a little bartering, we agreed that he would take two kegs in exchange for welding 4" ferrules on two of the new kegs for me. Presto-chango I've got two pressure capable stainless 15 gal fermenters.
That is a real sweet deal - Congratulations!!

A four inch opening us ideal on those kegs. I'm sure you have done some searching, the 4" top can be found with the corny keg style qd posts. Your SS welder friend could put in some too, either in the top piece or on the sides of the welded in ferrule. Maybe asking too much, but perhaps a 2" TC near the bottom side for cleaning? Just some thoughts!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back