Sanke keg questions....(just need some clarification)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narddawg314

Reaction score
I recently picked up a sankey keg at a great price and decided I would like to use it for my beers on occasion. I'm not going to be using a kegerator, so this is where my questions start.

What do I need to carbonate, and dispense this beer? I'd like to use a 20# CO2 tank and a fixed tap handle instead of the crappy hand pump style dispensers you can rent with kegs from the store...any ideas? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for with my google-fu. :drunk:

You can indeed use a sankey keg, co tank and tapper to dispense your homebrew. A hand pump is only used if you are not going to dispense with CO2. As far as carbonating is concerned, you can either carb in the keg by adding some corn sugar, or just hook up your CO2 and set it to say 15 psi and wait a few weeks for it to carb up.

You can indeed use a sankey keg, co tank and tapper to dispense your homebrew. A hand pump is only used if you are not going to dispense with CO2. As far as carbonating is concerned, you can either carb in the keg by adding some corn sugar, or just hook up your CO2 and set it to say 15 psi and wait a few weeks for it to carb up.

I ended up finding a "post and faucet" sankey tap setup with a CO2 tank and regulator for $160. Thanks for keeping me on the right track! Going to keg an Oktoberfest next month that's been lagering since the first of January.

Back