sanke D "wing handle" coupler disassembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datchew

Reaction score
Wing handle style that twists as shown here

How do I take this apart?
I've removed the c-clip and other bits, but I can't seem to find the trick to remove the liquid probe from the coupler body.

Any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
The probe pushes out the bottom through the wing handle once the e clip is removed. It takes some force. Then the wing handle itself can be removed by rotating it clockwise (from the top) into the "tapped" position and then pushing it down solidly while rotating back counter-clockwise. It can then slide off vertically.

strange.
The clip is removed. I even removed the gas release in case it had a pin or something holding the shaft in. No dice.
Mounted the body in a vice with proper support on the pressure bearing flanges and used a brass drift turned to size for the hole and a 2 lb dead blow hammer.

That thing didn't budge.
It slides up and down properly, but I can't remove it.

Any other bonehead steps I may have missed?

Well, the good news is that I got it apart and I wasn't doing anything wrong.

The bad news is that I had to destroy the plastic wing section to do it.

Here's what I found inside. A small circlip in one of the probe shaft grooves that prevented it from being removed in either direction. The only explanation is that it was installed before the rivets on the rotating wing handle. Hence, it was built to prevent being disassembled/repaired. Strange. :mad:

IMG0174-L.jpg

You can get a replacement wing (made out of metal) if you want to repair it. I did (although promptly started brewing enough that I don't use Sankey couplers any more ...

I'm sorry you had to destroy the wing. FYI, those do actually come apart and the rivets are installed on the wing prior to assembly. Now that it's apart, you can look at the channels that the rivets ride in on the sides of the body, and you'll see how it has to be rotated/moved in order to remove for repairs and lubrication.

Well, the good news is that I got it apart and I wasn't doing anything wrong.

The bad news is that I had to destroy the plastic wing section to do it.

I'm sorry you had to destroy the wing. FYI, those do actually come apart and the rivets are installed on the wing prior to assembly. Now that it's apart, you can look at the channels that the rivets ride in on the sides of the body, and you'll see how it has to be rotated/moved in order to remove for repairs and lubrication.

So then they must push the ring tight together enough to go IN, but then they relax and make it unable to be disassembled. That makes sense.

yes, I was able to see how the wing is removed. Problem is... it's almost half the expense of a new coupling (of the standard style) so I see no point in buying parts for it.

The probe pushes out the bottom through the wing handle once the e clip is removed. It takes some force. Then the wing handle itself can be removed by rotating it clockwise (from the top) into the "tapped" position and then pushing it down solidly while rotating back counter-clockwise. It can then slide off vertically.

I hate to bring up an old zombie thread, but this one right here just saved me a lot of frustration and head scratching. For the life of me I could net get this thing apart. Just so you know you cant get the probe out until the handle is removed. Do like cscade says and once it is tapped, push down and turn counter-clockwise, came right off!

Hope it helps someone else!

This thread is the only info I can find on the net about disassembly, or taking apart and cleaning Sankey D wing coupler (D System Wing-Handle Coupler for American Sankey Kegs). It saved me huge headaches. At first I misunderstood the instructions on the thread and had to read them a few times. I re-read AFAJ post, then I understood………… Maybe a little thick head or in a rush. Either way to reiterate, and add a few thoughts.

You will need a thin slot wrench (beer mechanics wrench) to remove the top fitting. Or at least on mine I did.

This is to completely disassemble.
1) Remove all the fittings
2) REMOVE THE WING HANDLE FIRST. By doing exactly as CSCADE instructs.
3) The probe slides right out.
4) Remove o rings, seals if need be
5) Clean as you see fit. I use oxiclean then soap and water.

It takes 1 minute with the correct tools and knowledge.

Back