Sanke Coupler Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red1992v6rs

Reaction score
I received a Sanke coupler as a Christmas gift and picked up a local brewery’s keg the other day. Should I clean the coupler by tearing it down before I connect it? Is it necessary to sanitize it as well before each use?

If it is new I would just run some sanitizing solution thru it, if used I would run pbw or oxi clean thru, then sanitize.

I push solution thru my sanke taps w a turkey baster and inverting the tap w the tap open, lever locked down.

You can also put solution into a keg and push through the tap w co2

As long as you make sure both gas and liquid backflow preventers (duckbill for gas and float ball for liquid) stay functional (ie regular cleaning) you should be good. The float ball inside the probe tends to stick if not cleaned regularly.

Get in the habit of breaking the couplers down, including taking off all the gaskets, whenever you clean lines (faucets too for that matter) and thoroughly cleaning them.

I do give the bottom of the coupler and the keg seal both a spray with sani when connecting. But that's really it.

Back