Sanke adapted for home brew fixtures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krid

Reaction score
Hey everybody.

I have a sanke keg deal that I adapted to take ball lock fittings so I could easily swap between corny kegs and commercial kegs. Thing is I tried it for the first time and it didn't work.

This is what I did:

It doesn't seem like it should be too complicated. Gas in (grey fitting) on the side, beer out (black fitting) on the top. Screwed it in, locked it down, pulled the tap and nothing.

Am I missing something? Any trouble-shooting help would be greatly appreciated...

Full Disclosure: I've actually never tapped a commercial keg.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if you have a pic of the set up that might help.

I used to use sankeys all the time at home and also work at a brewery where we use them. There's obviously something missing in the set up or something. Stupid questions: Is the gas on? Is the keg carbed and pressurized? Is the coupling head properly engaged i.e., turn and then push the handle down?

We may need to know a bit more in order to help you better.

Gas is on. Keg is carbed and ready to serve. Coupling was screwed in until it stopped and the handle was locked down.

I just took it apart again, but I'll put a pic up when its back together.

I just swapped the barbed tail pieces with threaded ones and it's a simple change over when necessary. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402144444.422489.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402144462.992081.jpg

Ooops, didn't watch the video until after I posted but it's a simple swap.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Beer on top, gas in the side right? Twist and and lock down. I actually have ball lock fittings attached to the sanke, and they latch in solid too, so there shouldn't be any blocked paths for beer or gas...

sankeconversion.jpg

Here's all the parts. Am I missing something, or do I need to remove some redundant component since I have the ball lock posts?

UPDATE: I removed the little check valve ball and everything worked fine.

is that check valve in between your ball lock GAS post and coupler required to run a setup like this? I lost mine.. just curious. I have check valves on my co2 regulator.

It's just there to keep beer from getting into your gas lines. No, you do not need it for gas to flow to the keg.

Don't understand why OP had to remove the pea. It is there to prevent backflow into the keg. Perhaps it was stuck in the closed position.

It's just there to keep beer from getting into your gas lines. No, you do not need it for gas to flow to the keg.

Don't understand why OP had to remove the pea. It is there to prevent backflow into the keg. Perhaps it was stuck in the closed position.

I had 2 checks in liquid on my sanke coupler and lost the one for my gas. Im only using one on liquid now. Is that ok you think?

Back