Sanitizing with spray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuval12321

Reaction score
Hi. I saw a video in youtube in which the brewer used Starsan sanitizer as spray, so instead of filling 2-3 gallons of water in fermenter, he just filled 1 liter sanitizer in sprayer and sprayed on the fermenter and all the equipment that needs to be sanitized. Is it enough for sanitizing fermenter like this, without filling it with sanitizer?

I love to spray with starsan. I never fill anything all the way up .. for kegs and fermenters, I just fill them up about 10% of the way and shake the hell out of them to distribute star san all over. I spray everything that I might be touching over and over again out of paranoia.

Hi. I saw a video in youtube in which the brewer used Starsan sanitizer as spray, so instead of filling 2-3 gallons of water in fermenter, he just filled 1 liter sanitizer in sprayer and sprayed on the fermenter and all the equipment that needs to be sanitized. Is it enough for sanitizing fermenter like this, without filling it with sanitizer?

That is exactly how I do it. I spray everything down with starsan solution until it's dripping wet and let it set for several minutes before using.
The only time I make a large batch is for sanitizing bottles in a tub.

I fill fermenter about 8 inches.Stick all the little brew components (airlocks,turkey baster, ETC) in that for a bit.wipe down the auto siphon and pump it a bunch of times to sanitize the inside..I spray the lids

I'm happy to hear you do that too. I wasted lots of time and sanitizer for the batches I brewed till now. And one more question - how much time should the Starsan sanitizer be in contact with the equipment? The guy in the video said that even 1 second is enough, but the homebrew shop told me it should be in contact for 30 seconds.

I'm happy to hear you do that too. I wasted lots of time and sanitizer for the batches I brewed till now. And one more question - how much time should the Starsan sanitizer be in contact with the equipment? The guy in the video said that even 1 second is enough, but the homebrew shop told me it should be in contact for 30 seconds.

One second isn't enough, but the Starsan solution will not evaporate in one second. As long as the surface to be sanitized remains wet with Starsan, it will be sanitized. With one caveat. The surface being sanitized must be properly cleaned and free of gunk.

I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule about how long to leave it. I've heard too that a second or two is enough, but I always spray the hell out of my fermentation bucket, lid, and airlock just before chilling my wort. Then drain the excess off before dumping the wort. But I also spray down my turkey baster for samples, and the lid just before grabbing a hydro sample and (knock on wood) I've never had an infection.

One second is asking for trouble.

From the web site:

After 1 to 2 minutes contact time, drain sanitizing solution equipment
thoroughly. Do not rinse.

Homebrew use: Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute
immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute.

One of the best investments I ever made for homebrewing was to get a 3ml syringe (just the graduated plunger part, no needle required):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001889SBA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is super economical to make small batches of Starsan solution:
3 ml + 1/2 gallon pitcher of water for sterilizing brew day stuff
1 ml + 20oz spray bottle for a quick sanitizing spray: on keg lids when racking, on keg disconnects, on tap faucets, whatever.

(Actually if you know any medical professional it is pretty easy to swipe a few from work. Not that anyone should steal...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, like an Avinator that fits on top of the bottle trees. I pour 1 gallon of starsan over the fermenter lid & down the sides of the fermenter, swish it around, then drain into jug through the tap. I use a spray bottle of Starsan for spoons, paddles, etc. A small dollar stor funnel that fits inside my tubing to pour PBW or Starsan through them. Fill the measure on the Starsan bottle 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark, then dump into a gallon of water & let it settle to mix.

One of the best investments I ever made for homebrewing was to get a 3ml syringe (just the graduated plunger part, no needle required):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001889SBA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is super economical to make small batches of Starsan solution:
3 ml + 1/2 gallon pitcher of water for sterilizing brew day stuff
1 ml + 20oz spray bottle for a quick sanitizing spray: on keg lids when racking, on keg disconnects, on tap faucets, whatever.

(Actually if you know any medical professional it is pretty easy to swipe a few from work. Not that anyone should steal...)

Take that 3ml and pitch it into 2 liters of bottled water with a dollar sprayer attachment -perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make your spray bottles of StarSan with distilled water. If you keep StarSan around for a good amount of time, check it's pH from time to time. It is no longer effective with a pH above 3. Also make a new batch if it becomes very cloudy.

I think cloudy can happen with hard water; it's the pH that really matters--as you said, keep it under 3.

I think cloudy can happen with hard water

it sure does. The cloudy is indicative of the surfactants and cheating agents getting "used up" by the minerals in the water instead of the doing their job on any lipid bilayers (critter cell membranes) that might exist on the surface you are trying to sanitize.

Latest posts

Back