Sanitizing too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I'm pretty thorough when cleaning carboys and kegs, taking them apart, doing lots of sloshing, using sponges and brushes when I can, etc. I'll clean them with soapy water first, then get several rinses with PBW solution, and then I'll sanitize them thoroughly. When done, I'll close them up with about a pint of starsan still inside.

Is it okay that I haven't been resanitizing these things when it's time to use them again?

So you store your carboys and kegs with star-san? You should check its pH. If it's below 3 (I think), then it is still effective.

Edit: Confirmed the pH is 3. Also noticed people storing star-san in kegs have it eat right through the stainless. Makes sense with the acidity. Have you noticed this?

Holy crap! I haven't had them long enough that I would have noticed something like this, but you're making me reconsider my methods...

No vessel I have is sitting for more than 4 weeks like this.

I leave some star-san in my glass carboy. I've been afraid to do it with the buckets and kegs.

I do not re-sanitize. I just slosh it around a bit before I use it.

This is what John Palmer has to say about Star San in a keg:

This is what John Palmer says:

Quote:
Phosphoric in 300 series stainless steel is generally okay, according the ASM Metals Handbook, Vol. 13 - Corrosion.
However, it does go on to say that any impurities, particularly chloride and sulfate, will accelerate pitting and crevice corrosion.

So, I will bet that those of you who have had pitting problems at the water line, or other etching, have high chlorides or sulfate in your water.

I never recommend storing anything wet. Don't care whether it's water, or Starsan or PBW or Onestep or vinegar. When you store metal items wet, you allow all the time necessary for oxygen deprivation of a local area to occur and then you have an activity difference and galvanic corrosion can start. Pitting at the water line is a prime example. Pitting at a dent or ding is another. Weldments are particularly vulnerable because the metal chemistry/structure is generally different.

You know how I store my kegs? Upside down and open. Sure I get a spider or two in there once in a while, but they are easily taken care of, and I just fill the keg with starsan and let it sanitize my racking cane and siphon.

Remember, I am just as FOS as the rest of you, but I hope this helps.
Cheers,
John

That cures me!

My normal regimen is clean, sanitize, dry out as much as possible and store. When it comes time to use again, 99% of the time, I have sanitizer ready anyway and I sanitize again. Cleanliness is the first ingredient in good homebrew as we all know.

I store my clean kegs empty and dry, paper towel covering the top openings and parts in a ziploc bag, A quick keg rinse and then sanitize parts and keg just prior to racking.

DSC00249.JPG

Holy crap! I haven't had them long enough that I would have noticed something like this, but you're making me reconsider my methods...

No vessel I have is sitting for more than 4 weeks like this.

4 weeks is ample time for corrosion to occur. It would be best if you just put them away clean and dry. When it comes time to use them again, just give them a quick rinse and sanitizing before use.

Back