Sanitizing for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
Hi I am about to bottle my beer,

There are 3 places where contaminants may enter the bottling cycle.
1) the bottling bucket,
2) the capps
3) the bottles.
So I have a few questions.

1. How do you minimize contamination when racking to the bottling bucket and bottling? There is a lot of air to liquid contact surface -- or is this not much of an issue? Minimizing splashing is important I know, and sanitizing the bottling bucket. Any more suggestions?

2. Can the bottles be sanitized the day of or the day before? I was thinking of the day before and just letting it hang on my bottle tree -- would this be too risky?

Hi,

For 1 a well sanitized bucket for sure and personally I keep the lid partially on top to reduce the chance of dust or contaminant infiltration.

and for 2 I usually use a sulfiter with a starsan solution. I sanitize my bottles and i let them drain a bit while i'm preparing my other stuff to be ready. And i always leave my caps in a starsan solution during the whole bottling process. I,ve never had any issue.

Back