Sanitizing bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I could get away from sanitizing the bottles. A day before I bottle, I soak the bottles with PBW and right after that I put them in the dishwasher with out detergent. The bottles come out clean and really hot, thinking they should be sanitized. I always rinse my bottles after pouring the last of the beer. Should I continue to sanitize after the dishwasher? I've been doing it this way since I've been brewing. It just so time consuming.

I'd keep sanitizing. You just need a system. I fill an igloo cooler with Star-San then I sink a bunch of bottles in it and drain and take them out at which point i sink a bunch more while filling the first batch. My wife sometimes helps me on bottling day by capping which really helps things move smoothly.

I'm wondering if I could get away from sanitizing the bottles. A day before I bottle, I soak the bottles with PBW and right after that I put them in the dishwasher with out detergent. The bottles come out clean and really hot, thinking they should be sanitized. I always rinse my bottles after pouring the last of the beer. Should I continue to sanitize after the dishwasher? I've been doing it this way since I've been brewing. It just so time consuming.

No, you do not need to sanitize after that. As long as the dishwasher gets them above 180/190F (If the bottles are hot to the touch) then they are sanitized.

I've been doing that for quite a while now, and have not had a problem. I take them out and bottle directly. If I forget to put them in the dishwasher ahead of time, then I dunk in starsan before I bottle.

On a different note: if you still want to do a star-san rinse, look into the Vinator. It's about $20, your LHBS may have it. It's much easier than dunking bottles in a full bucket.

He does it the day before,so they're not santized at bottling time. Get a vinator & some Starsan. Surer & quicker.

I use a spray bottle full of starsan, spray the inside of the bottles, right before I bottle.

Put a small square of sanitized foil (dipped in Starsan) over the top of each bottle after removing them hot from the dishwasher. They'll stay sanitized until you're ready to bottle if you're not doing it right away.

I use my dishwasher. It has a cycle choice that sanitizes things. It get's them good and hot, which kills the bugs at least as effectively as starsan, maybe better. I've never had a problem. There's no need to sanitize if you choose the right cycle on the dishwasher. If it doesn't get things hot enough you might have a problem. I'd read your dishwashers manual to make sure they're sanitized after a cycle.

I've been brewing for a about six months and just trying to come up with best and quickest way to bottle. Thank you for the advice! Very helpful. Please keep them coming. Thanks!

i use my dishwasher. It has a cycle choice that sanitizes things. It get's them good and hot, which kills the bugs at least as effectively as starsan, maybe better. I've never had a problem. There's no need to sanitize if you choose the right cycle on the dishwasher. If it doesn't get things hot enough you might have a problem. I'd read your dishwashers manual to make sure they're sanitized after a cycle.

+1

What he said.

It’s a question of timing. They’re saying that if you do this ahead of time, you should probably stick it in the fridge. Ideally you would time this so it’s ready when you need it.

The temperature is not critical. “Yeast” says 95F-105F, I wouldn’t go over that. It should be warm sterilized water, that is critical.

I boil the water, then pour it into a flask. A measuring cup will work. Let it cool. When it’s no longer warm to the touch, about 90F, add the yeast. The water will continue to cool. Give it about 15 minutes to soak up the water then swirl it around a bit.

At this point cool it to pitching temp, it’s liquid yeast now. “Yeast” says ± 15°F, but I go for 5F.

Salinté

^^^hm?? I think you may have the wrong thread, that seems off-topic.^^^

Anyways, just wanted to add also that my dishwasher gets up to temp pretty fast. If I run the 'sanitize' cycle, it's very hot in there (like too hot to touch) after about 10 minutes. So it's not something that needs to be done WAY ahead of time.

Regarding the vinator- I had one for six months and loved it. However, when I pulled it out for my last bottling session, it cracked and fell apart. No idea how or why, but it's definitely not made of the sturdiest stuff. Just a word of caution. I'm reluctant to buy another one - it was a pain to put the spring together when I bought it. Weh weh, Debbie Downer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

The vinator is like the red baron,or other wing cappers. Don't be rough with them & they'll last a long time. The bell on my red baron capper stretched out a klittle,& the caps would leak under pressure. So rather than replacing the bell,I used it as a good excuse to get the super agata bench capper.

Back