Sanitizing bottles....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpbrew

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to wash bottles with soap/oxi clean and water, or can I just rinse them in my sanitizer before bottling?

I always do a good rinse when they are empty... Just looking for a faster way to bottle my brew...

Don't say to keg, I already know that's the fastest... Lol

I do not wash my bottles unless they are visibly dirty. I do immediately triple rinse after pouring a glass as a habit.

Depends on how confident you are in your "good rinse." Contact santizers (StarSan, iodophor, etc) only sanitize the bugs they can come in contact with -- so, if you've got deposits of dried beer or other gunk still in the bottle, the sanitizer won't be able to reach any bugs hiding in or under the deposits.

Personally, I do a "good rinse" when I first get a bottle, do a long oxyclean soak (also removes the label 95% of the time, bonus!) and another thorough rinse once I get a big batch of bottles saved up, then bake 'em on bottling day. It's a bit of a pain, but it's heck of a lot shorter and easier than a brew day, so, for me, it's worth it to be double-plus-sure my hard-earned beer stays bug-free.

If you rinse thoroughly you will be fine with not washing them. Just sanitize and go

Back