Sanitizer in my beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used Five Star- Star San no rinse sanitizer and when I dumped my carboy there was a really huge foam left inside the carboy (almost the whole carboy) but no liquid. I let it drain for a short while. But I was too impatient to wait on it to clear so I used it as a secondary clearing vessel and racked my brew to it. My question/concern is whether or not the foam when it settles will be on top of or in my beer. Will it cause any ill effect like diarrhea or anything? I hope I didn't ruin what smelled like a great batch of beer. The second rack was into a plastic fermenter so even though there was some foam in it there wasn't as much so I"m less concerned about it. I'm wondering if I would be better off giving it a day to drain and racking on the next day? Anyone with expertise in this area please sound off. SIDEBAR: I've got 3 5gal batches ready to keg w/in the month. Should be one great Christmas this year!!!!!!!!! :ban:

You think any of US worry about it? :D

100_2609.jpg

Actually any foam or starsan left in the fermenter becomes yeast food. That's why it is a no-rinse sanitiser. There is no harm in it, in fact several folks on here have drunk it to no detrimental effects.

You think any of US worry about it? :D

100_2609.jpg

Actually any foam or starsan left in the fermenter becomes yeast food. That's why it is a no-rinse sanitiser. There is no harm in it, in fact several folks on here have drunk it to no detrimental effects.

Funny. Yeast will not be doing much in this secondary clearing vessel. There may be a little activity but very little. Still good to hear. I am relieved.

Back