Sanitize muslin hop bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricd7

Reaction score
Hey all-

I am getting ready to dry hop for the first time ever and plan on using a muslin hop bag, stainless steel washer, and pelletized hops directly into the primary. I did some searching and found that most of you don't recommend sanitizing the hops, but what about the muslin bag? Obviously I will sanitize the washer, but just not sure if I should soak the bag in sanitizer as well? Its new, but you never know, so just wondering. Thanks!

ED7

throw those bad boys in and have faith. it will be okay! maybe use more dry hops to assure you get good preservative effect :) and extra good taste!

I've never used a bag but the people I know that do sanitize the bag. Ive never heard of sanitizing hops before??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I always sanitize my hop bag by either boiling it or soaking it in star san. I just toss the dry hop pellets in the fermenter, wait a week, cold crash for several days, then use a sanitized fine mesh nylon hop bag on the end of my racking cane when I transfer to keg, works like a charm!

I had problems with the mesh over my intake on my auto siphon. So I put it on the out put end and it worked well. Just soaked the stockings in star San.

I had my only infected batch (my 4th beer brewed) come from an unsanatized muslin bag. After looking at my brewing notes, I determined the bag came in contact with the grain powder when crushing grains at the LHBS and I didn't give it a second thought. Little did I realize a lot of nasties live on the grain....all the bottles were gushers and the beer tasted infected; since then (30+ batches) I've just given my muslin bags that are used for dry hopping a good saturation with StarSan from a spray bottle and have been good to go with no issues since.

IMO...you can take a chance and not saturate it, or take 30 seconds and 5¢ worth of StarSan and give the it a good soaking. It's better than dumping your time, effort and $$$ on a possible infected beer.

Also, you can just dump the hop pellets directly from the sealed bag into your fermentation vessel, tie a piece of sanitized muslin bag over the end of your racking cane, and use that as a filter to keep the pellets out when transferring to bottles/keg. If the flow starts slowing, just give the racking cane a shake....it's worked for me several times.

I soak my bag in Starsan, fill it with hops and drop. I don't use marbles, rocks, weights, etc. The bag will drop when it get soaked.

Latest posts

Back