Sanitize everything with Vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
My aunt just moved to Arizona and left a lot of stuff for us, including 10 big bottles of crappy gas station vodka - the 20% ABV vile potion.

Both the wife and I hate good vodka (let alone the bad stuff) so I was wondering, can I just pour these 10 bottles into a bucket and let all my equipment, bottles, etc... soak in this for sanitizing and/or cleaning?

My aunt just moved to Arizona and left a lot of stuff for us, including 10 big bottles of crappy gas station vodka - the 20% ABV vile potion.

Both the wife and I hate good vodka (let alone the bad stuff) so I was wondering, can I just pour these 10 bottles into a bucket and let all my equipment, bottles, etc... soak in this for sanitizing and/or cleaning?

If you want all your stuff to get a sticky syrup coating on it go head

I wouldnt rely on 20% by volume to sanitize. We use 70% or 95% EtOH in my lab as a sanitizing solution.

Thanks, I'm going to find some other non-drinking use for this vodka. I figured the 20% ABV was too low.

I guess you could realistically use 80 proof vodka, but all that Absolut ain't cheap.

Vanilla extract is a great idea - i'm making a mini batch of that right now with 2 vanilla bean scrapings (no pods) soaking in 1 cup of 45% Bourbon. It's only been sitting for 1 week though, I plan on using it in about 2 weeks for Denny Conn's Vanilla Bourbon Porter.

However when I was reading up on the extract process, I found that it usually needs at least 35% ABV to get the flavor out. So I guess it won't work with my stash.

you lost me...
I will face the wrath of mods but this is an educational/information only post.

If you have vodka that is 30% alcohol - the rest is what class? mostly water.

so, water freezes alcohol does not - except at extremely low temps that you and I cannot hope to reach in our homes.

take one bottle of vodka, pour into a tupperware bowl/baking dish capable of holding it all. freeze until solidish

take out the block of booze - place into a mesh strainer and what will come out first will be a higher concentration of alcohol. do this a few times and you have greatly decreased your volume and upped your abv. then you could do the vanilla extract.

search for freeze distilling or ice distillation on the googles.

Cool, thanks for the explanation, I didn't think the vodka would freeze

All alcohol will freeze, 200 proof (100% EtOH) freezes at -170f. the 20% variety should freeze in your freezer, 30-40% wont reach freezing in a home freezer.

Back