Sanitize bottles in dish washer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Ok so I was curious if this works. I read somewhere on this site that if you use dry/heat is the best way it works...

I tried this a while back, and apparently you need to be careful about JetDry and other chemicals in there. I hadn't used JetDry in a few months, but there must have been some residue left in there, and it affected the carbonation of my beer. That was really the only downside though. It was much easier than hand-sanitizing each one individually.

Here is what works for me. YMMV.

Fill your bottling bucket with a couple of gallons of water/starsan. Use the spout to fill your first bottle with about an inch of sanitized water. Put your thumb over the top and shake it around. Pour into your next bottle and place the first bottle in the dishwasher. You will need to use new solution every 3 or 4 bottles due to spillage etc. Once all of the bottles are done, I use the dry cycle of the dishwasher to further sanitize dry them. Then I bottle the beer on the dishwasher door pulling the bottles directly out of the racks. Makes cleanup easy since all of the spillage is contained in the dishwasher.

I have in the past when i needed to Sanitize my bottle and didn't have and sanitizer left. I would rinse the bottle with some water then place them in the dishwasher on the dry cycle only. Once the cycle was done i let them cool of for 10 to 15 mins. Then i would start bottling. It work well for me the couple of time i did it.

How difficult is it to start kegging your beer??

Difficult? Not very. It's just a matter of getting the proper gear!! Best investment you can make in your homebrewing, in my opinion. There's few things more satisfying than drawing your own beer off your own tap at your own house!!! Theres tons of threads here that can walk you through the steps of setting up a kegerator and kegging system.

your heat cycle should get them hot enough to kill larger bugs ..what i use is the rinse then heat/drying cycle then fill a vinator (bottle washer) with starsan squirt a few pumps of that ole goodness up in there then let them drain on the dishwasher boom its worked out so far

* Pre-rinse bottles shortly after consumption
* Place said bottle(s) in dishwasher
* Day before bottling, press "Sanitize" button on dishwasher

90 minutes of burning hot water (no detergents necessary) ought to kill everything.

I just bottled 10 gallons yesterday. I took a tip from someone on the board here: Put your star-san in a spray bottle. 2 sprays in the bottle and place upside down onto your sprayed down dishwasher rack. Then start bottling with the first one you sprayed (most has dripped out). Seems to work pretty easily.

* Pre-rinse bottles shortly after consumption
* Place said bottle(s) in dishwasher
* Day before bottling, press "Sanitize" button on dishwasher

90 minutes of burning hot water (no detergents necessary) ought to kill everything.

This is what I have been doing. Except I have always scrubbed/sanitized the bottles first.

Do you think running through the dishwasher cycle w/o soap (about 110 minutes) and the heated dry is sufficient or should I continue to still clean the bottles first as well?

This is what I have been doing. Except I have always scrubbed/sanitized the bottles first.

Do you think running through the dishwasher cycle w/o soap (about 110 minutes) and the heated dry is sufficient or should I continue to still clean the bottles first as well?

The dishwasher w/out soap method is a sanitizing procedure. You need to make sure it is clean first, meaning free of foreign matter, dirt, grime, etc.

If you don't rinse the bottle soon after pouring it out, then, yes, it's a good idea to scrub it out using OxyClean or whatever you use (no need to sanitize) before using the dishwasher. If you rinse it out quickly, then there's no need to scrub.

I don't recommend using anything in the dishwasher when sanitizing. It's the steam and heat that will sanitize the glass. Anything else might get into the bottles and might not get out thoroughly. I guess the exception would be a no-rinse sanitizer, since it doesn't matter if it stays in the bottle, but it's unnecessary.

If you don't rinse the bottle soon after pouring it out, then, yes, it's a good idea to scrub it out using OxyClean or whatever you use (no need to sanitize) before using the dishwasher. If you rinse it out quickly, then there's
Will Oxyclean harm head retention
If so, will the dishwasher sufficiently rinse it out?

I remember reading from someone on here that sanitizer in the dishwasher can lead to a bubbly mess :drunk:
I learned my lesson ofter putting Dawn in the dishwasher as a kid. Only dish washing detergent now

Will Oxyclean harm head retention
If so, will the dishwasher sufficiently rinse it out?

Use OxyClean Free or one of the homebrew-specific formulas like PBW. You should rinse it out well before it goes in the dishwasher. Remember, don't expect the dishwasher to do anything except heat the glass up to the point that most everything will die on it. The dishwasher (for this purpose) is a sanitizer, not a rinser or a cleaner.

I remember reading from someone on here that sanitizer in the dishwasher can lead to a bubbly mess :drunk:

DO NOT PUT STAR SAN IN YOUR DISHWASHER......trust me don't do it.

Thanks for the warnings. My original brewing kit came with Iodophor, so I've just stuck with that out of habit and familiarity, so I don't know much about StarSan.

I'm guessing Iodophor in the dishwasher wouldn't cause a mess? Again, it's not needed anyway.

My routine:

1.) Drink beer!!! Rinse bottle out well and set next to sink
2.) If it's a store bought beer in step #1, remove the labels, otherwise skip this step
3.) Put in dishwasher with the rest of dishes
4.) Put washed bottles in the beer cave.
5.) On bottling day, sink bottles from the beer cave in starsan, pour out starsan, fill, then cap.

Have yet to have a problem, but I'm still somewhat new and haven't aged any past a year yet so we'll see.

Back