Sanitize before putting equpment away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loctones

Reaction score
I've had a few batches with a slight sour taste to them, and I'm trying to narrow down the problem. So, I'm revisiting my sanitation practices to make sure everything is okay. I'm going to replace my auto-siphon and racking tubing, and I want to start out with good practices on the new stuff.

Typically, I clean things with Oxyclean or PBW when I am done using them. Then, I rinse with hot water, drip dry, and put away. When I am ready to use the items, I rinse them again with hot water, sanitize, and use. I'm wondering if sanitizing before putting equipment away is useful. Is there anything to be gained from doing that, is the sanitization before use all that's needed?

Your method sounds good to me. I pretty much do the same thing, clean well before putting away and then rise and sanitize before use. I wouldn't sanitize before you put it away, it will just loose it effectiveness by the time you use it next. Are you using kegs or bottles? Maybe this is where your problem is? I keg and when I finish up a keg I clean it out with PBW and then fill it with starsan and hit it with CO2 until its ready for use. Then when I go to use it I just hook it back up to the CO2, and pump it out my beer lines.

I'm not going to assume there's nothing to be gained from it, but it certainly shouldn't be necessary. If you sanitize them and then stick them into an unsanitized environment then you haven't accomplished much.

As for what could be causing the taste, I'll leave that to the wiser forum members here.

I've never sanitized before storing things, except maybe fermenters and/or kegs that can be sealed up. What kind of sanitizer do you use? I would make sure your sanitizer solutions are up to snuff and that you are leaving enough contact time. Also, make sure you are taking apart valves etc. to get the insides sanitized well.

Sounds like over kill to me..i clean after each use and sanitize before using and i have never had a problem. Although every 6-8 batches i give the equipment a solid cleaning with oxyclean and really clean it all out.

Don't sweat the sanny. Just get all the gunk off your gear and then sanitize when you are ready to brew again.

While it won't hurt, it really is wasted effort and sanitizer.

Rinse and clean as well as you can when you wrap up, and only worry about sanitizer prior to use.

Thanks, all. The consensus is that sanitizing before putting the equipment away isn't necessary. I emailed 5 Star, as well, and they told me the same thing. I'll continue the regimen I'm using, but I'm going to be more rigorous about post-use cleaning and give the equipment a longer soak in PBW.

To answer some of the questions posted above:
--I use Star San as my sanitizer
--I keg my beer 95% of the time. Sometimes I bottle a few from the keg to take to a party or give to friends. When I clean a keg I follow a similar procedure: quick clean after use, rinse with hot water, drip Dry. Before using, I clean with PBW, break the whole thing down, clean with hot water, and pump Star-San through the keg.

I reviewed some of my tasting notes before work this morning and noticed that I've had the slightly sour taste on three batches. All three of them were low-alcohol (below 4% ABV), and amber to very dark. I'll keep an eye on future beers. Perhaps what I'm tasting is the result of oversparging with lower grain bills on smaller beers.

- If you ferment in plastic bucket or better bottles, don't use a brush or anything that can scratch the inside. Scratches can harbor bacteria.

- Don't brew, transfer, keg, or ferment your beer near your grains or where you crush. The dust from them can be everywhere.

- Cover your kettle while you cool with a clean towel to prevent something falling in it.

- Don't be in a windy or other environment with flowing air while racking.

- Be sure your starsan is viable (not cloudy, pH < 3)

- Review your starter sanitation process and how you handle it when pitching.

- Check other items like funnels, aeration hoses, stoppers, etc. for sanitation issues.

By the way,does your FV have a spigot on it? Both mine do,& they have to be removed & cleaned as well. Not to mention,the hole that it screws into. I use PBW for this step. After cleaning the spigot,I make sure it's open & soak it in PBW for a short while too. Then re-assemble & drip dry. It's a no rinse as well at proper dilution levels. I've even put masking tape over the airlock hole till I brew again just to be sure nothing sneaks in.
I also spray the spout inside with PBW before & after taking hydrometer samples...

I would say just be a little more careful about sanitization, and replace all of your vinyl tubing. I went the same thing a few months ago and the results suit me

I have to agree with the consensus here, as long as you clean everything up before you put it away, I don't see the need for sanitizing. Since you are going to re-sanitize the equipment before using it next time, save yourself the time and sanitizer and just clean it after use.

Back