sanitation questions for bottling first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcomito

Reaction score
I have recycled bottles that I have put through boiling water to remove the labels. I then put them through the dishwasher for a general cleansing. Would these be considered sanitized at this point or should I go ahead and sanitize to be sure. I am ready otherwise to bottle. I wouldn't want to do something twice if unnecessary.

It sounds like they're pretty clean, but if they've been sitting out for any amount of time after being through the dishwasher, I'd go ahead and just have a small bucket of star san solution for a dunk right before you bottle. This would allow you to give the caps a dunk as well. I believe the starsan is effective after being in contact for 1 min. Hope that helps.

hundy said:
It sounds like they're pretty clean, but if they've been sitting out for any amount of time after being through the dishwasher, I'd go ahead and just have a small bucket of star san solution for a dunk right before you bottle. This would allow you to give the caps a dunk as well. I believe the starsan is effective after being in contact for 1 min. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to go right from dishwasher (once cooled) to bottling. The dishwasher is super hot and even has a "sani rinse" mode as part of the regular wash cycle. I have c-brite. It came with the kit. Everything is sanitized and ready to go. I just wanted to make sure and get a second opinion before ruining 5 gallons of love.

Back