sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark300y94

Reaction score
I dropped an aluminum straw into a gallon of sanitiser a few weeks ago. (by mistake). Just got it out now. The paint on the outside of the straw is gone (metalic bue). No color in the sanitiser but wondering if I should dump it. It is bottling day. Probably should start with a new batch just in case.
t thanks

Sanitizer is cheap, ruining a batch of beer isn't as cheap. I'd err on the side of caution and just dump the sanitizer. I always answer these questions to myself just like this. Is it worth losing a batch of beer over? Typically I answer myself 9 times out of 10.

Sanitizer is cheap, ruining a batch of beer isn't as cheap. I'd err on the side of caution and just dump the sanitizer. I always answer these questions to myself just like this. Is it worth losing a batch of beer over? Typically I answer myself 9 times out of 10.
yep. thanks.
I had put it to the side, dumping now.

I dropped an aluminum straw into a gallon of sanitiser a few weeks ago. (by mistake). Just got it out now. The paint on the outside of the straw is gone (metalic bue). No color in the sanitiser but wondering if I should dump it. It is bottling day. Probably should start with a new batch just in case.
t thanks

What kind of sanitizer are you using??

What kind of sanitizer are you using??
Star San is an acid based sanitizer. It will eat anything if its left long enough, or concentrated enough. Especialyl when it comes to soft metals like aluminum, so paint stands no chance

Star San is an acid based sanitizer. It will eat anything if its left long enough, or concentrated enough. Especialyl when it comes to soft metals like aluminum, so paint stands no chance

hmmm...that give me an idea. I wonder how it would do on power-coat like what is on the outside of aluminum bottles. 🤔

The straw was anodized, not painted or powder coated. Anodizing can be a very resilient treatment, depending on the type (type 4 being very resilient). I suspect the straw was NOT type 4, but a much lower level.

The color is also applied as a dye during the process. After the aluminum oxide layer is formed. So it's possible that StarSan simply stripped the color/dye from the straw and not the actual anodized layer.

Personally, I would toss out the straw at this point in either case. If the anodized layer was still present it should be safe. If not, then you're drinking through raw aluminum (never a good idea). You could attempt boiling the straw in water for an extended period to create a new protection layer. IMO, it's not worth the effort or risk if you don't get it correct.

As for stripping the powder coating off of a bottle, better to simply media blast it. Or use a wire wheel/Scotch-brite disc on it. Especially since you don't want to remove the coating inside the bottle during the process.

The straw was anodized, not painted or powder coated. Anodizing can be a very resilient treatment, depending on the type (type 4 being very resilient). I suspect the straw was NOT type 4, but a much lower level.

The color is also applied as a dye during the process. After the aluminum oxide layer is formed. So it's possible that StarSan simply stripped the color/dye from the straw and not the actual anodized layer.

Personally, I would toss out the straw at this point in either case. If the anodized layer was still present it should be safe. If not, then you're drinking through raw aluminum (never a good idea). You could attempt boiling the straw in water for an extended period to create a new protection layer. IMO, it's not worth the effort or risk if you don't get it correct.

As for stripping the powder coating off of a bottle, better to simply media blast it. Or use a wire wheel/Scotch-brite disc on it. Especially since you don't want to remove the coating inside the bottle during the process.
I do have a cheap soda blaster from Harbor Freight...that may do the trick.

Not sure if using soda for the media would be aggressive enough to do the job. I had a media blast cabinet form Harbor Fright and it was "OK" at best. Got rid of it (some other sod has it now) and picked up the hobby scat cabinet form TP Tools. Worlds better. Top loading for one thing. If you're talking about the item that's just a tank you put media in... Yeah, had one of those too... Sucked balls.

I use mine to prep items for Cerakote. I can blast through type 4 anodization in seconds (as in less than a few on a spot). That's etching with aluminum oxide media (fine grit since I need to etch, not eat). Of course, I have a very capable compressor (135psi max, 14.1cfm @ 90psi, 16.1cfm @ 40psi), which helps in a huge way. Even dialed back to about 90-95 psi at the blaster (through my air drying setup) it does a great job.

I've had star san eat the cheap chromium plating off of stuff. One more reason to only buy 100% stainless.
hmmm my brew kettle is aluminum. A chinatown style soup pot. I do use it as a bottling bucket sometimes.

Back