Sanitation Checklist Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmerg

Reaction score
Hi,

[This is a long post, and I apologize. If I ask about sanitation, it seems like I should describe my process.]

I'm hoping to crowd source possible sources of a light wild yeast infection in my last beer kit. A bit of background: we brewed a few batches last year until we infected 20g with very incompetently washed yeast. Our first batch this summer is now mildly infected. This is disheartening and frustrating. I suspect the causes are different and that this recent infection is due to poor bottle or yeast starter.

1. Cleaning. I soak all the equipment in Oxyclean after the brew day. Usually I eyeball the concentration. It usually get rinsed and put away within a few days. We just transitioned to diptubes and hoses, so I'll need to be more careful about how they get cleaned. We don't have a pump, so no circulation cleaning that way. Usually I try to submerge them for cleaning, but I just set up a hose nozzle attached to a sink to run clean water through the hoses.

Cold side cleaning: Carboys get soaked in oxyclean then upended to soak the top half in Oxyclean. They get rinsed with a bottle jet and inspected. Our autosiphon gets soaked, then wiped down with a cloth or kitchen sponge, rinsed and dried. Only two batches have run through our ball valves, so I haven't disassembled the Blichmann (used as boil kettle) to clean. I am assuming the heat sanitizes the valve.

2. Boil to Carboy: We were attaching a hose to the kettle before the boil to save our fingers. I sanatize the hose in a bucket of star san and leave the end in the bucket during the boil. Obviously the top half of the hose is dry and exposed to the air. We don't have a gravity stand so we do a lot of lifting and moving, which can bump the hose against something if we're not careful. I try to resanitize, either using a spray bottle of Star San or resubmerging it in the bucket. (I'm very worried that my hands are not very sanitary, but my brewsistant assures me hands wet with Star San are fine.) I may now wait until we are done whirlpooling to attach the hose.

The Carboy is filled with room temp water and 1 oz of Star San. About 15 minutes before we fill it, I empty the carboy and upend it in a filled, sanitized bucket to fully sanitize the opening and collar of the carboy. Also, upside down makes it harder for stuff to fall inside.

We now have a lid for our boil kettle, so it stays as covered as possible while we whirlpool. (We really suck at that too.) All ‘brew day’ stuff happens outside. I prefer to do it on the back porch rather than in the oil-soaked garage.

Airlocks have been cleaned by soaking in Oxyclean, rinsing, and storing in a box. They spend most of the brew day soaking in a measured solution of Star San. I can't see how these are my problem, unless I let them become too low during fermentation.

3. Fermentation occurs in an unfinished basement bathroom using swamp coolers. I've learned to dump some Star San in the cooler to prevent growths or film on the surface. Either way, I'd hope the airlock was working. I've started periodically spraying down the top of the Carboy with a solution of Star San to 'knock down' the amount of bacteria growing near the beer. I doubt this has any practicable effect.

We cold crash in a refrigerator. It has started growing mold on wood used to create a platform for the carboys. This concerns me if the airlock, now being sucked in, doesn't provide enough protection.

4. Yeast starters are made in old growlers. I clean and sanitize the growler. Make the starter while keeping all utensils in the star san, including a SS funnel. The starter is stored downstairs (i.e. at fermentation temperature). We usually sanitize a plastic sandwich bag and put a rubber band lightly around it to seal the top. Here, I’m trading oxygen for a bit less contamination from the basement. The starter for the recent IPA was kept upstairs, at slightly warmer than fermentation temps with more shaking. I have a cat upstairs, so maybe that’s an issue; of course there are dogs downstairs so pick your furry contamination. I used aluminum foil to seal the top of that starter.

5. Bottling. I think this is the problem but we didn't have issues with previous batches.

The bottling spigot is difficult to clean. Today I ran water through it backwards via the sink and a hose clamp. But what is lurking inside? Anyway, I let that sit in star san for a few minutes (at least three by the podcast on Sanitation) before I move the valve back and forth and install it. Here I have my hands inside the bucket, so this comes before I fill it with star san.

I fill the 7g bottling bucket with a measured amount of star san -- .5 oz for 2.5 gallons. I use a clean wash cloth or sponge to scrub the sides and top. I've purchased a Lowes bucket lid to keep debris out while bottling and I sanitize that too. The autosiphon is soaked in star san, and I make sure that all four sides (two inside, two outside) make contact with the sanitizer. I pump the star san through the hose as well to ensure I don't leave air pockets while it soaks.

We have a bottling extension, which includes a spring and a pressure switch thing. I have to disassemble this to ensure that it is clean.

Because we’re using gravity to transfer volumes, there is a bit of movement. Since the bottling bucket spigot is attached during the transfer, there is a chance for contamination when we move the bucket. Every time the autosiphon leaves the star san, I’m petrified that it’s picking up contaminants from the room. (I’ve developed this fear after 25 gallons of infected beer. I think that’s a healthy thing.)

Bottles have been soaked or rinsed beforehand. They are run through the dishwasher using a high temp wash and a sanitary rinse cycle. They stay upside down and inside until we are ready to bottle. Caps are inspected for rust and left under an inch of star san. Bottling takes less than 1.5 hours. I've decided to turn off the A/C and ceiling fans per the advice of the White & Zainasheff Yeast book, which I did prior to bottling my mildly infected ale.

I wipe the counter with Bleach wipes and try to clean the surfaces around me. A large problem is that we have limited power over the spaces in which we work. Our kitchen floor, for example, is covered in grossness and dog hair. Our fermentation room has dust, exposed wall studs, some insulation. Although one member of my family has/had debilitating asthma, we pretend that the HEPA filter magically removes all dust in the house. In short, it’s pretty much the opposite of an ideal clean bottling or fermentation environment.

I am conscious that people have made beer in worse conditions, with less ability to control contaminants. So I ask you, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance (even for just reading this far)!
- Luke

umm...your sanity. seriously, you will be fine...make food decisions regarding your sanitation and you'll be fine. sanitize anything that comes into contact with your cooled or cooling wort. the mash tun, boil kettle, etc don't need to be sanitized...obviously.
I think you and this dude need to get married.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get your point. And I'm trying to relax, but 20 gallons is a lot of wasted beer. Now I have another batch that may or may not be drinkable in 2 weeks. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Even if I wasn't, and my beer was drinkable, I'd prefer my IPA not to taste like a Belgian.

Besides, leaving things soak in a bucket of Star San, which is what I pretty much do, is common procedure. Not crazy like that guy. My problem is that this is missing something that effects the taste and longevity of my beer. That matters.

I guess I'm confused what your issue is...it sounds like you have your sanitation steps down fine. If your IPA's taste like a Belgian, then I would say your doing something else wrong...maybe using Belgian yeast...that's a stretch I know.

Honestly, I get that your scared, but I have had to put my entire hand into cooled wort to pull a clogged filter out of my funnel. I just dumped my hand into a solution of starsan and water, and went swimming. Never have had an infection, never had any sour or Brett off flavors...so seriously, don't worry. Your 20 gallons are safe...especially if you take sanitation 1/10th as seriously as this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sponge? Ewwww! The only time I ever had a bad batch was due to a transfer hose. It was not dried inside and got some scrunge growing inside. From then on, I never dry my stuff. Everything stays submerged in sanitizer until brewday.

Yeah, I'll have to second the "eeeeewwwwww" on the sponge. Seriously, those things are friggin disgusting. I use a super thin, soft, not-very-absorbant terry cloth to wipe things down. Basically the same kind I used to clean tri-clover parts when I worked at a brewery.

umm...your sanity. seriously, you will be fine...make food decisions regarding your sanitation and you'll be fine. sanitize anything that comes into contact with your cooled or cooling wort. the mash tun, boil kettle, etc don't need to be sanitized...obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJocMX7Ex-Y

OK....that is just plain overkill!! It is BEER/WORT for goodness sake! It has been made successfully for thousands of years with minimal, if any, sanitation. You should sanitize but......lets use some common sense here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJocMX7Ex-Y

That guy's a little bit cluttered to be so much of a clean freak. Didn't know if anyone else noticed that...

Taking a look at his set up, I am not sure I could honestly say I take sanitation 1/20th as seriously as he does, much less 1/10th. I simply sanitize (once, not a million times) anything that'll touch cool wort/beer. You're never going to kill all of the bugs out there and create a totally sterile environment (even youtube guy couldn't do that), you just want to kill a majority so that your beer yeasts can do their job with enough of a head start to beat out the bacteria and wild things (to very loosely paraphrase Charlie Papazian from The Compete Joy of Homebrewing).

Just bottled a Janet's Brown clone with no taste of off flavors. Hopefully they don't develop. If they do, I'll have to look at the bottling bucket more closely. For a while, I was using it to soak bottles. So aside from the spigot, threads and seal potentially hiding stuff, the bucket itself may be difficult to clean.

You guys are sorta laughing at my expense. But I went to rinse the bucket in my laundry room, looked around and there is dog hair everywhere. I can't put something down for a second without risking contamination. It's really taking the fun out of brewing.

Risking further ridicule, I'm gonna try to (1) Never use a sponge; (2) Pay a lot of attention to cleaning the bottling bucket; (3) Be very careful with the starters.

Store your buckets, carboys, bottles, etc upside down....this pretty much eliminates the dog hair problem. Also, are you saying that you don't sanitize right around the same time as the wort/beer transfer or shortly before. I am confused if you sanitize and then wait for days, and then go grab your bucket.

Also, a few dog hairs wont really hurt anything, when I brew outside, I'm sure a lot of floaties land in my boiling beer. Just rinse out your bottling bucket before you transfer...easy peasy!

Oh god no. I sanitize as close to use as possible. All bottling stuff is sanitized during bottling. I try to let Star San work for three minutes, and stay wet until ready.

I use a bottle jet to rinse the bucket beforehand. Bottles are stored upright before sanitization, upside-down afterwards until filled with beer. Usually this involves a dishwasher and rack, although we've pulled bottles out of a bucket of star san for 10g batches.

I once read a thread where a guy sanitized his carboys after cleaning, then let them sit for weeks. Same confusion occurred to me. Rest assured that all sanitation occurs within minutes of use.

We just bottled an AG Janet's Brown clone. It smelled fine in the bottling bucket (and obligatory taster cup afterwards). In a week or so, I'll crack one open to check for more off flavors.

Checking our bottling spigot after this last batch reveal visible "gunk" -- that's a technical term. So I may have missed residue on the previous batch. It's plastic and doesn't disassemble, so it's tough to tell how much of the valve could be hiding stuff. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Ok, this is an update: Local homebrew club suggested our off flavors are due to a low mash temp and a short boil time. That makes me feel a lot better about my sanitation stuff. Next step is too verify the mash tun thermal mass, the grain heat absorption, etc. and boil for 90 min. We're rebuilding our mash copper filter stuff too.

What are you're fermentation temps? Im wondering if you're off flavors are something other than infection? Also, i would try pitching pitching dry yeast to rule out anything that may be coming from washed yeast or contaminated starters.

I'm looking into dry yeast since at least one starter was overly active. Of course I pitched the last batch with Notty without rehydrating. Woops.

We need to calibrate our thermometers, hydrometers, and refractometer before I'm prepared to say what our *actual* temp was, instead of what I *thought* it was.

Latest posts

Back