Sandwich Aluminum Enclosure plus power consumption question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
So I ordered a panel that I thought was stainless steel but turns out to be Aluminum, oh well, I'll deal.

So I was thinking that I could just mount my SSRs to the back of the panel and then mount the heatsinks to the outside back, thus sandwiching the back of the enclosure in between. Will this work since the panel is aluminum?

Also I want to add a plug for my grain mill. I often mill while running the HLT which is a 5500 watt element. I have one of the power cords for the copiers and I'm running to a 30 amp breaker. Are most people here able to run a mill and an element at the same time, or is it not feasible? I know this is hard to say without knowing what amps the mill pulls, but I'm not sure how much it draws.

put my Killawatt on the mill and it pulls 145 watts at 110 volts so only pulling 1.4 amps.

So heating element at 23 amps is still well below the 30 amps and the mill won't be used for more than 5 minutes. De-rating to 80% only applies if the load will be on for more than 3 hours

Back