San Diego Super Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbug

Reaction score
As I wait for the Safale-05 to start up in my impossibly dark alebomination (alot I would have changed about that brew day in retrospect but I'm still holding out great hope for it to be a big beer with huge flavor) I put together the framework for my next project to try and nail down my efficiency.

I was going for a big Imperial IPA and wanted to play around with some different malt and hop flavors so I'm trying to keep it good and bold and complex but I'd like to see some input from the community to see if I'm headed in the right direction. I'm also trying to dial in my all grain process so I'm going to post in the all grain section too for advice in that.

The recipe, so far:
8lb Maris Otter
8lb Optic
3lb Munich
1lb Biscuit
8oz Special B
8oz Caramunich

All the hops scheduled are by 1 oz but I'll probably end up doing like my last IPA and take a pinch of each to mix and put back with the individual additions. I enjoyed the results last time.

61m - 2 drops fermcap
60m - Admiral
45m - Simcoe
30m - Chinook
15m - mix of nutrients, whirlfloc and irish moss in warm water
10m - Palisade
05m Columbus
Fuggles @ Flameout

Sylva and Smaragd to dry hop

intended to leave the boiled hops in and add the dry hops after fermentation for a couple weeks

ran it through beersmith and brewer's friend calculator, looks like it should land between a 8 and 10% if i can pull it off and I was thinking of doing a double decoction but I'm still reading up on the process and was going to save all those questions for a repost later in All Grain section of the forums.

Any advice, insight or opinions at all would be greatly appreciated, as always. :D

Back