San Diego, CA in the summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toniogarces

Reaction score
Hello,

Are there any San Diego homebrewers out there who could tell me whether summer temperatures in the area are apt for brewing ales at room temperature? I have been there during the summer before, but I'm not certain that the temperature is below 75 degrees inside. Debating whether to bring down my equipment.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Luis Garces

Hello,

Are there any San Diego homebrewers out there who could tell me whether summer temperatures in the area are apt for brewing ales at room temperature? I have been there during the summer before, but I'm not certain that the temperature is below 75 degrees inside. Debating whether to bring down my equipment.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Luis Garces

You will need something to control temperatures. What part of SD are you going to be living in?

Hotter in south & inland county, much cooler near the coast (obviously...). Lived in Carlsbad for over 5 years & brewed for 2 of them without any temp issues, but we did have AC set to 72-ish in the summer...normally hits 80-85F around summertime near there; expect 100+ inland.

I will in San Diego, just east of Mission Bay, a little north of USD. I know temps range from 70-85 in SD, but I'm not sure how it is indoors w/o AC.

I don't have AC, and I can brew in the summer by keeping my fermentors in a huge storage bin filled with water and two frozen gallon jugs of water. Takes forever to get to pitching temps though, so I will frequently brew high gravity batches that are diluted with chilled water to the correct volume/gravity.
I live off of Adams and the 805, so about 5 miles from the coast.

even room temps of 72 is too warm. Yeast activity raises temps in the fermenter by 4-8F, so a 72 room is fermenting the beer at the height of activity at between 76 and 80.

Research. Go to your yeast's website and see what the optimal temps are. Go for the low side, to account for said temp rise.

You will need some type of temp control - even a plastic tub filled with cool water to set your fermenter in will be helpful. You can drop in a couple of frozen water bottles here and there to keep the water temp at say 65F

Latest posts

Back