Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Drinking this right now, posting to update those who haven't had the pleasure.

Poured a Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout in a 10 oz tulip glass about 10 minutes ago. It might be up to about 45 degrees F now, has a nice thick tan-brown head that is slowly deflating. At this colder temp, this beer is all roast and alcohol flavor. Doing my best to wait; as it's warming up the aroma is turning from hops to caramel malt. Chocolate is just barely starting to come through.

Will post updates soon.

This beer warmed to about 48 to 50 degrees F while I was typing the last post.

Mouthfeel has thickened significantly and chocolate is really coming through now. Aroma is of chocolate and noble hops. Can't tell if this is a Kent Golding beer, Tettnang or some other noble hop (yes, I could Google the recipe and cheat, but I prefer to taste it out--who wouldn't?)

This beer smells a lot sweeter than it comes across on the palate. Lingering post-swallow is the dryness from the alcohol and nice, warm hop flavor.

Aroma is strong, finish is clean, alcohol flavor is high for a beer at 7.0% ABV (bad as I assume this beer hasn't aged out enough.)

This one seems like there's some phenols/esters from poor fermentation. Perhaps the batch got a bit hot during fermentation and produced the clove flavor I first mistook for hops. Still a good beer, but thinking about going back to the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout next time I look for something from the "old brewery at Tadcaster."

Crap, I ended up on BA again without meaning to. Wait, what?

Oh...

:D :mug:

Seriously, I like that beer. It's delectable.

BA?

As in Baracus?

I was thinking more of Beer Advocate (dot com). WTF is Baracus?

Nevermind. I googled: "Baracus is a genus of skippers in the family Hesperiidae." -Wikipedia

If that's what you meant, very obscure! :tank:

BA Baracus: Character on the A-Team, a television show in the 1980s, played by one "Mr. T."0

Linkydoo

I saw that too...that was less funny to my drinkin' self.

Drinking a SA Double Bock...guilty pleasure. :mug:

Latest posts

Back