Sampling grains for taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Being a relatively new brewer I've been wondering what different grains offer for flavor. I've read what they taste like and what they add, but having no reference for a 'biscuity' flavor or other such descriptions has left me wondering about these. I'm wondering if there is a way to sample malts, like steeping an amount of grain to get the flavor, but not the sweetness. I've been thinking of maybe taking some course cracked grain and steeping it at around 130° to avoid most of the starch conversion so hopefully I could get the flavor and a hint of sweetness with it to get a rough idea of what it might taste like in the finished product.

I'm kind of thinking that if this works I could add amounts of different grain 'tea' and concoct a recipe based off of percentages of the different kinds mixed together.

Does this sound right? Or is there an accepted way of tasting grains that I may have missed.

sure, that could work.

i taste everything at every step. taste the grains at the LHBS...it'll give you an idea if you do comparison of just a few kernels. try comparing vienna and munich, for example, or 2-row and 6-row.

smell hops, too (they don't taste so great but a dab might let ya know.)

the liquid wort idea is a good one, tho. i'd also suggest doing some beers with single malts. my favorite recipe is nothing but vienna malt and northern brewer hops.

I just taste the grains by themselves, it's made a big difference in being able to tell what is contributing what to the flavour in my beers.

Back