sampling 4 yo home brew. Interesting. Not sick.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
Recently I decided to sell all my HB equipment. My other hobby is HO scale trains, and I have time and resources for 1 of 2.

I found some HB bottles that were 4 to 5 years old. Popped several, and they foamed all over the place. A batch of porter and a batch of generic golden ale. Of COURSE I tried them. Duh.

I'd say my sanitation procedures were sufficient. They foamed much more than expected, but after the foam slowed down I was able to sample 6 oz.

The flavors were not on target, OTOH, they did not make me sick or give me lots of internal gas.

I have 20 lbs of DME. I will try a final batch of "breakfast porter or stout" with DME, a tea of crystal grains, and add final fizz with a block of maple sugar. If it works, I may try other DME and tea combinations. I do not have time for both hobbies.

Life is good when I have so many options!

I gave up for 7 years (young kids in the house, and too much going on). I'm really glad I didn't get rid of my equipment, as it would have cost a lot to get back into the hobby. It's now 13 years since I restarted brewing.

"I have 20 lbs of DME. I will try a final batch of "breakfast porter or stout" with DME, a tea of crystal grains, and add final fizz with a block of maple sugar. If it works, I may try other DME and tea combinations. I do not have time for both hobbies."
Stick to your trains mate.

Back