sample from my beer ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
i brewed last sunday OG 1.060, i wanted to rack to a secondary today. well i took a sample today and FG 1.020. i just wanted to know first, (for future reference) can i keep my samples in a little bottle so that i can check the gravity for racking time? and secondly? do you think i can rack it today, or should i check for a steady gravity for a couples days? thanks much !! -Lee

Just write down the gravity for the samples and keep track of it that way. No need to keep the samples around.

And I usually rack to secondary when it looks like the wort's cleared out a good bit. I don't pay attention to the Hydrometer readings until it's bottling time, then I'll do readings a few days in a row to make sure the gravity stays the same.

when u say cleared out????? you mean should i open the primary bucket and look for bubbles ? if there's none go for it ??

Pretty much. When there isn't much bubbling coming from the airlock and when the foam on top has reabsorbed into the beer, you could go. I like to leave the beer in primary at least a week though. It's really your choice because you don't even need to use a secondary. I like to toss the fermenter up on the counter a few hours before I transfer to secondary so anything I stir up while moving it around can resettle to the bottom.

I wouldn't keep the samples. I would taste them. Always interesting to know how it's going. But perhaps I'm strange. Anyway often beer at this stage tastes thin and bitter. Don't worry it'll get better. And if it does taste good now, then it'll be great in a few weeks.

I wouldn't keep the samples. I would taste them. Always interesting to know how it's going. But perhaps I'm strange. Anyway often beer at this stage tastes thin and bitter. Don't worry it'll get better. And if it does taste good now, then it'll be great in a few weeks.

+1 BUTT!

make sure you're standing up because the first time you taste beer that green, your ass is going to pucker so hard you'll ruin a good leather recliner if you're sitting.

P.S.
You might want to ensure that you've got a spare pair of clean undies in the drawer.

drum roll for the BK. i always try my beers to see how they are tasting when taking readings....why the hell wouldnt i? isnt it all about experimentation and learning! and learning the tastes!

Back