Sample for the hydrometer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpbrew

Reaction score
Looking to get a sample from primary for the hydrometer, I just sanitize my thief, pull the lid and dip? I've heard horror stories about infecting beer.

That's about it. Keep it covered as much as possible, but don't worry about the small amount of air that will get to it. You'll get more than that when you go to keg/bottle. Just keep it clean and sanitized, you'll be fine.

You got it. Just make sure the thief is sanitized and squeeze the top before you put it in the beer. Don't return the sample to the fermenter either.

Youll be fine. Most your Fermenting is probably done so you now have alchohol. Pretty difficult to infect at this point unless you do something real deliberate.

Another ll thing I used to do is to make sure there's no fan on,or doing anything to disturb the co2 blanket over the beer. Since it's heavier than o2,it should stay in place for the most part if you're gentle with taking the sample. I put the lid back over the Fv after taking the sample. Set the sample/hydrometer aside to settle,then snap the lid back on.

One problem i always have, maybe someone can help, is in my 8 gallon bucket, i cant get my thief far enough down to actually get enough liquid to float my hydrometer.

I usually just end up pulling, emptying into a cup, pulling again, then slowly pour some from the cup in and let it sit for awhile and measure. Kind of a PITA.

Poke your thief in a few times in rapid succession. The inertia of your thrust will push the 1 way valve in and beer will go into your thief, then when you reverse direction, the 1 way valve will fall into place, preventing the beer from leaking out. About 3 or 4 pokes should be sufficient if you are using the same type of thief as I am http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_67_363&products_id=1227

I just bought my first hydrometer today. The LHBS told me to use a cup to dip out a sample. Will this be okay? How much do I need to perform a test?

The wort went into the primary two Sundays ago and I am hoping to bottle this weekend so I want to make sure I'm ready.

MTate37 said:
I just bought my first hydrometer today. The LHBS told me to use a cup to dip out a sample. Will this be okay? How much do I need to perform a test?

The wort went into the primary two Sundays ago and I am hoping to bottle this weekend so I want to make sure I'm ready.

I just sucked my sample out with a sanitized turkey baster... And used the tube used for storing the hydrometer for the reading... I spun the hydrometer in the tube to keep it from sticking to the sides for an accurate reading... Good luck.

Back