Same wort, different yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berebrando

Reaction score
I've done a couple ~1.050 beers with 10gallon batches and split in two fermenters. I have used different yeasts as an experiment.

For example, I did a pale ale that I fermented with wlp san Francisco lager and us-05. I have a Belgian pale ale that is half wlp568 and half wlp 500. (when I say half, I mean completely in a separate carboy.)

My question is: do my Cali common and pale ale qualify as "different" beers in terms of competition entries? Further, can my Cali common and pale ale be entered in different categories in the same competition?

Thanks in advance/sent from my iPhone

I have no idea about your question, but someone will know for sure and share.

In the meanwhile, it sounds like you've done this a lot. Have you had some interesting comparisons? Any never agains or huge succeses?

Just the two I've mentioned - common/pale and Belgian pale/saison. So far so all have been good.

Up next is an IPA with either us05/pacman or us05/s04 - which combo would you go with? I'm also trying to figure out how to do a mild/scottish split...

Love the experimentation! As far as your questions, as far as I'm concerned you could enter the same beer as different categories or even twice in the same category. I probably wouldn't go as far as to enter a couple of bottles from the same batch in the same category, but from separate batches of the same recipe or even just separate fermenters with the same yeast, so much goes on that they are "different" beers. In that case, you'd be more than safe entering them in separately.

I could definitely see entering both from the single wort in the same category to go against each other to see how they compare. Does the cali yeast give a cleaner profile? Does one belgian out-perform the other? And these aren't only in your own eye, but having some guidance from the judges, which can be helpful as you plan future brews.

Different categories gets a little tougher, since it depends on whether or not you think they'll do well in the separate categories. I'm trying to think of an example, but can't off the top of my head. Obviously the cali and us-05 batch one could be sent in as a pale ale, but not sure what the other option would be. Probably too out of style for a cali common, and can't think of another category your other option could go to. But if you can think of one, I don't see why you couldn't send them in :).

Back