Sam Adams Cream Ale Clone Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
I brewed an AG SA Cream Stout clone one week ago. I tested the Gravity this weekend at 1.022 - the sample was pretty slick with diacetyl but I liked the flavor. I used the Wyeast 1968 London Ale ESB and the recipe from Beer Captured.

I will be gone through the weekend so it won't get to the keg until next week.

I have a couple things running through my head:

1. keg condition and carb with some LME to keep me from getting over-zealous and drinking green stout
2. force carb and make myself be patient!

and here is the one I am curious about...

3. I mashed @156F to keep a fuller mouthfeel and the 1968 doesn't attenuate super high. If I were to toss a bit of pacman slurry into the keg and keep it around 60F would that get me a few more points off the gravity and carbonate in the process? or do you think it would dry out too much?

Cheers

AT

My cream stout always ends up around 1.020 - I don't think I'd want it to be much less, your SG sounds about right as-is.

If you've got diaceytl flavors, you might consider letting it sit for a while to let the yeasties try to clean that up. You could help the yeasties by raising the temp a little, to 70ish.

Back