Salvaged control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethlovex

Reaction score
I found this control panel in a job site dumpster. I believe it was used to control a single phase AC motor. I know I can use the enclosure for a single pid single pump but is there anything in here worth saving or should I strip it down and start from scratch. There appears to be a din contactor and a nice handle on/off switch. Also some fuse holders? Any thoughts would be appreciated

image.jpg

PJ I was actually planning on using one of your diagrams you prepared for Johnodon

Great find. You can salvage the switches and the door interlock while removing everything else from the backplane. Then you have a great start for using one of P-J's fantastic schematics. I'm assuming that it is a door interlock which won't allow the door to be opened unless it is in the off position. If not it still looks like a good master on/off switch.

I stripped everything down except the on/off handle switch. I was hoping to leverage this in my new control panel. How would I incorporate this into a wiring diagram?

theres a lot there I think that could be used... the fuse holders for sure.. how about those breakers how many amps are they? and the indicator lights as well as the small allen bradley style switch.

The fuse holders are rated for 200000 amps I think I might need new ones; the din breaker is 20 amp but I wasn't planning on using one in the control panel since I'm going the spa panel route. Should I be using one? I already have the rail on the back panel.

Good progress painted the enclosure with clearance rustolem from lowes and mounted the LEDs and pid. Now just have to mount receptacles and wire it up

The fuse holders are rated for 200000 amps I think I might need new ones; the din breaker is 20 amp but I wasn't planning on using one in the control panel since I'm going the spa panel route. Should I be using one? I already have the rail on the back panel.

As long at they make fuses small enough and the wiring can support at LEAST the load/fuse capacity they would work perfect ... Those look like they take the same size fuses as used in car audio systems. Heavy duty for sure, but perfectly fine for functionality.

Besides, Do you really think that 12/14awg wiring that's used with them in your pics supported anything near 200000amps? They would have had 20-30 amp fuses or less if it was wired correctly.:mug:
Breakers in this application would just be a waste as far as being practical is concerned.

I couldn't find .5 and 10 amp fast blow fuses for those holders so I went with the 1/4" and just bought a new holder at radio shack

I couldn't find .5 and 10 amp fast blow fuses for those holders so I went with the 1/4" and just bought a new holder at radio shack

I believe many auto stores carry them but 1/4" is easier to deal with and find replacements so.. I was actually thinking you were going to use them for 20/25 amp fuses for the element power...

Back