Salted Caramel Porter/Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguybrewer

Reaction score
I know this idea is not entirely original. I am not looking for information on a base porter or stout recipe, I've got that down.

What I am looking for is a discussion of the best way to impart the right balance of caramel and salt. Given the rise in gose recipes, the salt should be in vogue now.

For the caramel portion, I want a good caramel flavor, but not overtly sweet. So, the options would be a high relative portion of crystal malt, homemade candi syrup, or a combo. Seems like the combo would be the best option, but what are peoples thought on relative proportions?

This will be my first recipe that is "out of the norm". I don't think I will brew this weekend, but again, wanted to start a conversation to better formulate people's thoughts.

I'm really surprised you didn't get any comments on this. Did you brew this beer? How did it turn out? I'm looking to do something similar and there's still not much info out there. I may also add pecans, so I may have better luck starting with a pecan porter search and adjusting from there.

I'm really surprised you didn't get any comments on this. Did you brew this beer? How did it turn out? I'm looking to do something similar and there's still not much info out there. I may also add pecans, so I may have better luck starting with a pecan porter search and adjusting from there.

Looks like the OP hasnt been on the forum in almost two years so not likely to get a response.
I am however very interested in this same idea so if anyone has some input id love hearing it

Back