Salt Additions & Water Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guttoc27

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing an AG partial boil. 3.5gal boil, 5.5gal final vol (i.e. 2 gal top-off water). I'm using all RO water and doing salt additions. Do I calculate for, and thus treat, ALL 5.5 gal of water (thus, including the top-off water), or only the water for my Mash/Sparge? I've seen some opinions both ways. Thanks for the help!

I'm planning on brewing an AG partial boil. 3.5gal boil, 5.5gal final vol (i.e. 2 gal top-off water). I'm using all RO water and doing salt additions. Do I calculate for, and thus treat, ALL 5.5 gal of water (thus, including the top-off water), or only the water for my Mash/Sparge? I've seen some opinions both ways. Thanks for the help!

I'd treat all of the water. Don't add any alkalinity to your sparge/top-off water though (examples: baking soda, chalk (doesn't really work, generally), slaked lime).

Latest posts

Back