GrünkohlPepper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widukind

Reaction score
Edit: I don’t know how “pepper” ended up in the title, but it shouldn’t be there.

Grünkohl is a popular stew in the Low Countries and northern Germany. There are festivals dedicated to it. As one of my personal favourites, I find it goes well with a dark ale. That’s just me. Or maybe it’s because of my partial Saxon blood... whatever. I find that people quite like it even without the brew. There are different variations one can find online, but I find that this method works for me.

You will need these things:

A tablespoon of fat
An onion
Garlic
Four kale leaves
Five peeled Yellow potatoes
1/2 cup or more of meat broth (I prefer chicken)
Any kind of wurst
Sea salt
Ground mustard
Pepper

Heat some kind of fat in a deep pan or a pot. I usually use ghee or an oil that can take a high smoke point, like coconut or grape seed. Duck fat might be a consideration. Fry some chopped onions in the oil until they’re translucent. Next, some garlic. For the chopped yellow potatoes, one can either steam them separately or add them in at this point. Rip off the kale into small pieces, throw them into the pot, add salt and mustard powder, stir everything, then add the broth.

When the broth is just at a simmer, place the wurst on top of everything. Cover this. Check it occasionally to make sure that the potatoes aren’t falling apart or sticking to the bottom. You don’t want the broth to go beyond a simmer, either. It often takes me and hour and a half to two hours to cook the stew. Don’t rush.

When the sausage is obviously cooked, ladle the contents onto plates. Adding some freshly ground pepper and some mustard on the side is a good idea.

Edit: I don’t know how “pepper” ended up in the title, but it shouldn’t be there.

Grünkohl is a popular stew in the Low Countries and northern Germany. There are festivals dedicated to it. As one of my personal favourites, I find it goes well with a dark ale. That’s just me. Or maybe it’s because of my partial Saxon blood... whatever. I find that people quite like it even without the brew. There are different variations one can find online, but I find that this method works for me.

You will need these things:

A tablespoon of fat
An onion
Garlic
Four kale leaves
Five peeled Yellow potatoes
1/2 cup or more of meat broth (I prefer chicken)
Any kind of wurst
Sea salt
Ground mustard
Pepper

Heat some kind of fat in a deep pan or a pot. I usually use ghee or an oil that can take a high smoke point, like coconut or grape seed. Duck fat might be a consideration. Fry some chopped onions in the oil until they’re translucent. Next, some garlic. For the chopped yellow potatoes, one can either steam them separately or add them in at this point. Rip off the kale into small pieces, throw them into the pot, add salt and mustard powder, stir everything, then add the broth.

When the broth is just at a simmer, place the wurst on top of everything. Cover this. Check it occasionally to make sure that the potatoes aren’t falling apart or sticking to the bottom. You don’t want the broth to go beyond a simmer, either. It often takes me and hour and a half to two hours to cook the stew. Don’t rush.

When the sausage is obviously cooked, ladle the contents onto plates. Adding some freshly ground pepper and some mustard on the side is a good idea.

Not sure how I missed this before but it sounds really good! With the cooler weather starting to set it, I look for easy comfort food dishes like this - thanks!

Latest posts

Back