Sake yeast question - Ferment temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I've had a Sake kit going, and per the instructions, the ferment temps should be in the low to mid 50's.

I've had this out in the garage, which typically maintains temps in that range, but we got a two days of unseasonably warm weather, and I noticed that the temps crept up to ~62 degrees. This was for the 3rd and 4th day of fermentation. It's back down to the low 50's, but does anyone have experience with sake yeast and what happens when the temps get away from you?

Well, since everyone else seems to be ignoring you, I guess I'll give it a shot.
I have no experience with brewing sake. But I have lots of experience drinking it. :)

I would imagine the effects of a rise in temperature would be the same for sake yeast as for beer yeasts. IOW, you may get some ester production, 'off' flavors/aromas etc.
And like they'd tell you if it were a beer, leave it in the fermenter longer and use a water bath to keep the temps more stable while it finishes up.

Personally, I'd be curious to taste this sake. I believe traditional sake would have been subject to similar temperature spikes in Japan, and would have still come out tasting awesome.

If, after a few weeks in primary, you dont like the flavor, try adding some cedar chips to mimic a traditional aged sake.

If you still don't like it, I'll give you my adress. I love sake and there are very few variants that I don't care for. :)

Haha, thanks for the reply. That's kinda what I was wondering. Right now, it seems to smell like I would except. It's a pretty crazy process, but it seems to be coming along alright.

I hadn't thought about cedar chips, thanks for the idea. I love drinking it out of cedar boxes. I think it gives it a great flavor.

Back