Saisons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyGlass

Reaction score
Good Afternoon

I am looking to brew a saison on the spicier side and perhaps add peppercorn and Scuppernong grapes to the process. Anyone have any pointers on recipes, techniques, etc. etc.?

Thanks!

Ferment warm. The yeast will add its own spiciness and enhance the spices you add to your beer. If it's your first saison, ferment warmer than you think. I've known people who have let their beer get clear up into the mid 80's.

I did my first Saison last fall and fermented it in the 80s. With Saison yeast and high temperatures it contributes a lot of its own character, IF this is your first Saison you might want to hold off on too many spices.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am getting ready to brew one this weekend, from what I have gathered you want to start fermenting at 68. Then bump it up a couple degrees everyday until you are in the low 80's. The yeast is going to provide most of the spice flavors you are looking for so I wouldnt add too many extra spices, if you add any.

+1 to the temp suggestions of starting low and letting it slowly rise up (as long as it stays under ~90). I would probably hold off on spices for this batch so you know what your base beer tastes like but if you decide to add spice, use a light hand. You could also split the batch after primary fermentation and add some spice to half of it in a secondary. If it is good then fantastic, if too strong then you can blend it with the unspiced beer, and if too weak then you can always add more spices.

I have no idea what grapes would do to it.

Most of the potential for Fusels and other stuff you don't want even in a yeast driven funky beer happens in the first 24-48 hours of the brewing process usually and fermentation is an exothermic reaction and generates its own heat. So starting a bit cooler and letting it rise helps to combat this

Still true for the high temperature Belgian strains? I did a healthy yeast starter and ran my fermentation at 82 (in Americanese) and the beer was excellent, nice banana nose but no harsh alcohols.

Ive fermented Saisons into the 80s before. It worked great! Its actually my goto summer beer for this very reason. The last one I did, smelled sooooooo bad while it was fermenting. It was disgusting. Then, tasted AMAZING.

+1 on 3711

I did a variation of the cottage house saison in here.

I fermented at 68 for 2 days, then upped it by 2f every 24hr until I reached 77. I let title stay until it had been 2 weeks from pitching. Then 2 weeks at room temp.

Came out with some spicy notes... It has lots of funkiness to it too. Turned out great.

I'm going to get some now...

+1 on 3711

I did a variation of the cottage house saison in here.

I fermented at 68 for 2 days, then upped it by 2f every 24hr until I reached 77. I let title stay until it had been 2 weeks from pitching. Then 2 weeks at room temp.

Came out with some spicy notes... It has lots of funkiness to it too. Turned out great.

I'm going to get some now...

Lol I just ordered more 3711 and some grain to make a session saison for summer. One of my favorites I brew... think I'll post the recipe when I get home

Back