Saison Step Mash Recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppersean

Reaction score
I am brewing a Saison tomorrow and am wondering about my mash schedule. My base malt is a Belgian Pils and I plan to do a two step infusion......first infusion to get an protein/acid rest at 122F and then the second infusion to get to the saccharification rest temperature. Since I am using Belgian candy sugar and have a bit of cara-Munich and dextrine malt, I don't want this thing to be too terribly sweet. What would everyone recommend for the Saccharification temperature? I am thinking something on the low side.....say 140 to 145F. What say you??????

I usually mash my saisons 148-152, and I never bother with protein mashes. The candy sugar is basically going to ferment out 100%.

I'd go with 148 most likely.

I'm with priceless on this, upper-140s is where I always go - 147F to be precise.

Thanks for the responses..........albeit after I was well into my mashing. I decided to go with 148F, so seems like I made the right choice! Excited for this brew since I have only brewed Belgian ales twice before and never a Saison. I am fermenting in a water bath with an aquarium heater that is supposed to keep at 78F to 80F.

Cheers!

I dough in at 100F. Beta Glucan rest at 113 for 15 mins. I skip protein rest for beers with less than 50% wheat. I do Beta rest for 45 mins at 148, bump up for Alpha rest at 158 for 15 mins then mash out at 168 for 15 mins.

I mash all my saisons at 148F but a few times ive tried a step mash at like 113->130->150->mashout at 168. Didnt really seem to make it any more or less fermentable though

Back