Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
I am looking to make a fruity saison. Here is what I have so far. Looking for body and wondering if the oats and wheat will be enough.

10 gallon batch

18lbs pilsner malt
2lbs honey
1lb flaked oats
1lb flaked wheat

Hops

1oz motueka @90
2oz motueka @15
2oz motueka @0

French Saison yeast

Mash @ 148 for 60min

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks good. If you are looking for body the 2# honey might counteract your wheat and oats. 3711 will dry things out enough without the simple sugars. Typically finishes 1.004 or lower. Plus most of the honey aroma gets scrubbed out during fermentation.

3711 produces loads of glycerol, which will give you the perception of more body. I think what you have here looks great, between the 3711 and the Oats/wheat you should have enough body in the end, not that you need a ton of body in a Saison.

I usually add Honey (or simple sugars) at high krausen, you'll still blow off some aromatics but I like to think that you can retain a little more with this method. It has an added benefit of letting the yeast get acclimated and build up some more yeasts to then work on the very easy to ferment sugars of the honey.

With 3711, dont worry about getting it hot it really doesnt need a lot of hand holding to dry a beer out. Pitch cool in the mid to high 60's and let it free rise, then hold in in the mid 70's for 2-3 weeks in primary and you'll be in great shape.

I just changed the recipe to 20# pilsner, thanks for the help, this may also be my first shot at a yeast starter

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back