Saison problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowlegged

Reaction score
I brewed a saison a few weeks ago. I waited 2 weeks before I moved it to a secondary. It's been fermenting around 75 deg which I thought was fine for a saison yeast. The OG was 1.052 then it was 1.022 when I racked it to a secondary 2 weeks later and it's still at 1.022 a few days After that. It's supposed to get to around 1.010 for the FG. Should I just let it sit another week or so and bottle it or repitch some yeast or something else?

Which yeast did you use? Wyeast 3724 is notorious for stalling out early but it usually happens around 1.032. If you used 3724 I'd raise the temp to the low 90's. It might take a little while but it will restart. Or you can toss in some WLP001 and it should finish it off.

What strain of yeast did you use? There are quite a few things that could cause this, but it's going to be up to you whether you want to re-pitch or not. I'd let it sit one more week and then bottle it regardless. Maybe even let the temp rise up into the 80s.

If anything, you'll get a sweeter taste to go along with that great saison spice. Won't have the alcohol content you were looking for, but will still be a good beer.

bboyeruga said:
What strain of yeast did you use? There are quite a few things that could cause this, but it's going to be up to you whether you want to re-pitch or not. I'd let it sit one more week and then bottle it regardless. Maybe even let the temp rise up into the 80s.

If anything, you'll get a sweeter taste to go along with that great saison spice. Won't have the alcohol content you were looking for, but will still be a good beer.

It was Belgian wyeast 3724 I believe. Probably just gonna let it sit or another week then bottle.

microbusbrewery said:
Which yeast did you use? Wyeast 3724 is notorious for stalling out early but it usually happens around 1.032. If you used 3724 I'd raise the temp to the low 90's. It might take a little while but it will restart. Or you can toss in some WLP001 and it should finish it off.

Low 90s? Wow I had no idea it needed to be that warm. It's been in the high 70s the whole time.

Bowlegged said:
Low 90s? Wow I had no idea it needed to be that warm. It's been in the high 70s the whole time.

Yep, the French Saison strain (3711) shouldn't go that high, but 3724 will benefit from it unless you want to pitch another strain. From Wyeast's site:

This strain is the classic farmhouse ale yeast. A traditional yeast that is spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90°F (32°C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 76-80%
Temperature Range: 70-95F, 21-35C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

P.S. I used this strain early this year and it stalled around 1.030. I started out at 70F then ramped up to 92F and it stayed at 92F for a couple of weeks. It was still at 1.030 when I moved it into my basement (needed the ferm chamber for something else). I left it there at about 70F for a couple weeks then out it back in the ferm chamber at 92F. It looked like fermentation had started back up right before I put it back in the ferm chamber. So long story short, it'll prob start back up where you have it, but it'll prob go quicker if you can get it up in the low 90's.

Time is your friend. It took 7 weeks to ferment my 1.055 saison down to 1.002. At week 6 it was still at 1.022. I was using the wyeast belgian saison. Temps were in the mid 80s for most of fermentation

microbusbrewery said:
P.S. I used this strain early this year and it stalled around 1.030. I started out at 70F then ramped up to 92F and it stayed at 92F for a couple of weeks. It was still at 1.030 when I moved it into my basement (needed the ferm chamber for something else). I left it there at about 70F for a couple weeks then out it back in the ferm chamber at 92F. It looked like fermentation had started back up right before I put it back in the ferm chamber. So long story short, it'll prob start back up where you have it, but it'll prob go quicker if you can get it up in the low 90's.

Ok thanks guys. Guess ill just b a lil more patient. I think I'll move it to my garage for a week or so and see if that helps. I live n Florida so my garage stays n the 80s.

Back