Saison on leftover yeast from Belgian Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNJake

Reaction score
So brewed a Belgian Tripel 2 weeks ago with a double smack pack of 3787. Temps were between 74 and 82 the whole time. OG was 1.065. This tripel reached 1.004 a couple of days ago and I thought, "hey, can I reuse this for a variation of my high grav saison? (8.5%)
As I understand it, overpitching any Belgian style is usually the wrong thing to do. But can I just keep the temp high as I did with the tripel to maintain some of the yeast character?
I also understand that 3787 isn't really a saison yeast but I'm not trying to make a perfect saison just a darn good Belgian style amber.
I would love to pull the tripel to secondary and just dump the saison on the yeast cake, but I'm looking for some other people's opinions.

Last edited:
I don't see any problem with dumping your next batch on the yeast cake. You'll still get good Belgian character out of the yeast especially if you keep it relatively warm.

It definitely won't be a Saison though. Maybe a Belgian Blonde or Pale Ale?

Don't pitch onto the whole cake, that's way too much yeast! Use maybe 1/6 -1/4 of it.
I was suspecting that. I was also thinking about the condition of the yeast here. I pitched plenty imo for the initial batch of tripel, but I'm not sure how tired the yeast would be after a 7.5-8% beer. I always use fresh yeast--More variables here than a normally roll with. But hey, its just beer and with all the components that I already love, the result should be very drinkable regardless.

So last night I dumped half the cake out and added the brew. Started the temp out at 70F in the fermenter and I plan to step it up gradually to try and force a little Belgian character that I would normally get with underpitching.
Basically, its a fly-by-my-pants experiment. But that turned out pretty well for my first sour.

Back