Saison not Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acaciadrian

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently brewed a very large Belgian saison. Primary fermentation want completely fine and I hit my desired OG. When I racked to secondary I pitched a vile of Brett C to give it a funk taste. That also showed activity (slower but steady). Flash forward to bottling, I primed the at 3.3 using a priming calculator (like usual) but here I am 5 weeks later and the beer has little to no carbonation! Any ideas of what could be happening/happened?

Cheers!

could the brett have lowered the ph enough that the yeast you're hoping to give the bottle carb will not work?

also, what's your expected abv? if it's a large beer that's well attenuated, you could be maxed out on alcohol tolerance for the saison yeast.

just a thought

A little more info could be helpful. Which primary yeast? OG and FG? How long was it fermented for?

I do saisons with brett quite often and do not have any problem with them carbing. I usually do the primary fermentation, thenwhen that is basicslly done, I rack to a sexondary and add brett. Let it sit for a few months and bottle. No problems.

How long from adding the brett to bottling? I did a saison with brett and blueberries that I bottle carbed as well. Also, I'm fairly certain that 3.3 is over a regular beer bottles tolerance as far as pressure... Could be wrong

Back