Saison Mash Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
Grist:
10# pils
3# wheat
3# rye
3# munich
3# piloncillo (in boil)

I want, of course, to make a very fermentable wort for ultimate dryness. I am not exactly clear on multi-step mashes though. I am inclined to do a singe infusion to mash at 145 for about 90 minutes, but the wheat and the rye have me thinking otherwise.

I'm thinking:

122 - 30 min
140 -- 60 min
158 -- 20 min
168 -- mash out

any elucidation would be appreciated. . .
:rockin:

I've done something similar with 60% pilsner, 10% munich, 10% wheat, 10% rye, and %10 cane sugar.

It came out extra dry and delicious. Not to say that a step mash wouldn't be beneficial, but I did 60 minutes at around 150 and it was great.

I would also consider what kind of yeast you're going to use. Especially for a saison. Like you don't need a complicated mash schedule if you're going to use Wyeast 3711 because it will chew up everything and give a dry beer just with single infusion mash at 152F. If you're going to use a different yeast, then what you're suggesting will probably be necessary if you want it really dry.

Hey Baconator, that recipe sure looks familiar, whoever shared that with you must have been one hell of a brewer :rockin:.

Yeah, I have made this recipe with a single infusion as well, and it turned out great. In fact it was my highest scoring beer I have ever submitted to a competition.

This time around, I did use the step mash I mentioned above, and I believe it helped at least with the run-off -- especially considering I used no rice hulls.

When I used the single infusion with a similar recipe, my efficiency sucked (somewhere in the 60s), but this time I was in my usual neighborhood (around 76%).

Oh, and as for 3711, I am one of the few hold-outs who prefer the old Dupont strain -- largely because of the fact that I live in a 100-year-old house that is not very energy efficient, and it is easier for me to take advantage of the high temp range of that yeast. It has not let me down yet. This time around it took the wort from 1.063 to 1.010 in a week, and I am sure it still has a way to go.

More details here if you care: http://yourfavoritesucks.blogspot.com/2011/07/don-juan-saison-2011.html

Grist:
10# pils
3# wheat
3# rye
3# munich
3# piloncillo (in boil)

I want, of course, to make a very fermentable wort for ultimate dryness. I am not exactly clear on multi-step mashes though. I am inclined to do a singe infusion to mash at 145 for about 90 minutes, but the wheat and the rye have me thinking otherwise.

I'm thinking:

122 - 30 min
140 -- 60 min
158 -- 20 min
168 -- mash out

any elucidation would be appreciated. . .
:rockin:
Here is what i would do it it was my brew.
122 - 45 min
145 -- 120-240 min (i have done a 7 hour mash at 145 with GREAT results)
170 -- mash out

Here is what i would do it it was my brew.
122 - 45 min
145 -- 120-240 min (i have done a 7 hour mash at 145 with GREAT results)
170 -- mash out

That is pretty close to mine, but I got a little anal about efficiency, and that is why I added the second sacc. step.

Holy crap that is the Don Juan Saison. Small world ehh? You still in on the forum, I got kicked out a while back and assumed I just hadn't paid my dues soon enough. My username on there was 3StormsBrewingCo.

My most recent saison was with the French Saison yeast. I forget the exact proportions proportions, but it was mostly pilsner, then equal parts, melanoidin, rye and wheat. I skipped the sugar this time. Its in a secondary fermenter right now, but it was phenomenal when I tasted it after racking.

Back