Saffron Beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I was given a large supply of Saffron and told to make a batch of beer using it. I've done a search but not much out there for saffron beer.

Does anyone have any ideas on what style or have you found any recipes? I'm thinking a wheat beer? with a saffron tea added as "dry saffroning"?

Ideas? opinions?

I have about 8 ounces

I have added saffron to a biere de mars once, adding a solid pinch to cold water then adding after flame out. I found the flavor odd in beer and not entirely pleasant. I really should try again. I wish you better luck.

8 oz is a ton of saffron, are you sure its saffron?

I have added saffron to a biere de mars once, adding a solid pinch to cold water then adding after flame out. I found the flavor odd in beer and not entirely pleasant. I really should try again. I wish you better luck.

8 oz is a ton of saffron, are you sure its saffron?

Pish.

That's well over a grand worth of decent saffron. Nothin'...

LOL - That IS a ton, 8 GRAMS!! of saffron. I have a friend that lives in saudi arabia where it is MUCH cheaper.

I tried saffron in a pale ale but the original flavors were off anyway so the mix was not that great.

hmmmmmmmmm

Reviving this thread. I am wanting to make a fairly simple saffron beer. I have maybe 20 strands in a sealed glass jar.

I am planning to brew 12 gallons of lager and splitting it 4 ways. (4 different lager yeasts). 1 of the carboys will get all of the saffron.

I have read that you can extract the saffron chemicals by heat, acid, and/or alcohol. However the homebrew discussions are fairly incomplete.

What are peoples opinions regarding the various methods and how they impact the chemical components of saffron?
A. Adding at flameout vs
B. Adding at the start of fermentation vs
C. Adding at the end of fermentation vs
D. Adding to secondary vs
E. Making a tea and adding to keg

Fermentation may generate different results than adding to heat or alcohol.

Good reference:
The effects of Crocus sativus (saffron) and its constituents on nervous system: A review
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599112/

Back