safe marking interior of aluminum boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoko

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a method of making a mark inside a boil kettle to better judge volumes. Was thinking of making a scratch at the 5 gal mark, it might allow baddies to embed but the boil should take care of that. A visible marker would be better, but I do not know of something that will not leach into the wort at the high temps. Ideas?

Thank you

Mark your mash paddle with a Sharpie. Lots of people use that method. Great if you only have one kettle. I use a wooden dowel with the gallon points marked in black (only use it on the boil side, though).

There is this thread here about stainless, author mentioned it may work with Aluminum, details here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-add-permanent-volume-markings-kettle-illustrated-463099/

EDIT: Just wanted to add:

Mark your mash paddle with a Sharpie. Lots of people use that method. Great if you only have one kettle. I use a wooden dowel with the gallon points marked in black (only use it on the boil side, though).

^ This is what I do and works fine for me.

Just use one of the many kettle volume calculators and a ruler. You can measure from the bottom up or the top down to know your volume.

Although that etching trick is way cool!!

I have a stainless spoon which i use during the boil and it is engraved or rather etched with gallon marks. I didnt use a sharpie.

Thanks all, I did the dowel thing in the past, but wanted something more like the etching solution. I think I'll give that a try.

I use a 24" steel ruler that I happened to have. My kettle is 12" wide so it's 2.04" for every gallon.

Latest posts

Back