safbrew wb06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Ok so I found a nice hefe recipe in the recipe data base and the yeast it calls for is safbrew wb06. Anyone ever use it if so what flavors do you get from it?

I have used this yeast. I made a pretty simple hefe recipe, and it turned out one of the best wheat type beers I have ever drank after about 4 weeks in the bottle.

I found that when it was fresh, the yeast put off too many clovey flavors for me to enjoy. Although, I do not really enjoy fresh beers unless they are hoppy as hell.

Munich yeast was the same for me... really good after 4 weeks in the bottle.

I would describe it as somewhere in the middle between a bland American Wheat and an overly fruity or overly clovey German Hefeweizen. It's a nice go-between. Hard to classify it as American or German. So if you dont mind not classifying it, it makes a fine wheat beer.

cool this should work well I have a german hefe I used wlp 300 on that should come out nice then hopefully within the next month I will have this second batch of heffe. :ban:

WB-06 is usable, but Munich is better.

For a Hefe, you really can't beat a liquid yeast, like Wyeast 3068, 3638 or 3333, or the White Labs equivalents.

The yeast makes the Hefe.

:ban:

The only luck I've had with Wb-06 was in a Weizenbock, and that one took several months to get good. Lots of folks think its pretty bad. To me, its not at all halfway between an American and a German Hefe yeast. It was nothing but a clove bomb for me.

I've used it once and found it tart. I didn't like it so I didn't go back. Like any phenolic profile expected from yeast like these, temps are going to play an important role. The reviews I've read about this yeast have been pretty bad, but I haven't heard of any experiments using this yeast at different temps to see how it throws banana and clove.

Back