Safbrew WB-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't used it yet, but I'll give your thread a bump. Brought some in recently to try and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

As an aside am just finishing up fermenting a weizenbock with WY 3068. I have never seen anything ferment that hard, and I had it well below the bottom end of the suggested temperature range. Wow!

I'm fermenting my first wheat with it right now. Pitched at 60, held at 61-62 for first day. Active fermentation within 6 hours. Then I've let it run at 65 for bulk fermentation. It was pretty quick at this temp. My 1.048 OG had slowed to a bubble every 15 seconds just 3 days in, so almost in cleanup mode. I fed it some blueberries last night and it started up again. I'll rack to a keg after 2 weeks in primary and start force carbing.

Unfortunately I don't have any taste info yet. My fingers are crossed. I usually use WY3333, but wanted to switch it up.

Up north here in Ontario, we can get various styles of wort, which are all modifiable with hop additions or yeast variations. One is an American Wheat. And while crisp and refreshing, it doesn't quite match the wheats of Germany. So I experimented with WB-06 and was very satisfied with the result. I kept the fermentation temps below 70F and the clove component shone. Next step, when winter finally breaks, is to do an all-grain hefe with that yeast.

Up north here in Ontario, we can get various styles of wort, which are all modifiable with hop additions or yeast variations. One is an American Wheat. And while crisp and refreshing, it doesn't quite match the wheats of Germany. So I experimented with WB-06 and was very satisfied with the result. I kept the fermentation temps below 70F and the clove component shone. Next step, when winter finally breaks, is to do an all-grain hefe with that yeast.

You can get great Weyermann German wheat malt from Gilbertson & Page, located in Fergus, about 15 minutes away from Guelph (sounds like you're doing kits?). I'd give my left nut to have easy access to the variety of malts available through G&P.

one of my first batches was a basic hefe-wiesse, used wb-06 and have great results, fermentation started 4-6 hours i could see the start, fermented quickly tasted like a hefe, can't beat the price too compared to liquid yeast.

Back