Safbrew s-33 for an Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBeer

Reaction score
I’m planning on brewing my first Oatmeal Stout on Sat. Recipe is as follows:

6 gal batch

8# pale 2 row
1# roasted barley
½# Chocolate Malt
½# crystal 10L
10 oz Quaker Oats
1tsp cinnamon
1oz Challenger hops

The recipe calls for Wyeast 1335, but all I have on hand is the Safbrew s-33. The Fermentis site says that the strain can be used for a pretty wide range of styles. Am I safe using this, or would Those Who Know More Than Me (pretty much everyone) suggest that I make the 2hr round trip to the LHBS for something else?

it will be fine it is an english ale yeast strain, good for most ales if you ask me

I had the same question about the cinnamon myself. Not sure if I want to use it or leave it out. I'm not a big fan of darker spiced beers.

One half pound (# is the commonly-accepted symbol for pounds avoirdupois) of Crystal malt at 10 degrees Lovibond.

Degrees Lovibond (°L) are a reference to a scale of colors developed in the 19th century. The higher the number, the darker the color; for example, Pilsner malt is 1-2°L, and Roasted Barley is 500°L.

You dig?

Bob

Latest posts

Back