Safale US-05 yeast floating on top of brew after fermentation is complete. Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robms88

Reaction score
I have never experienced this with the Coopers yeast or the S04 by Safale, but with the US-05, after fermentation, there was a thick yeast layer on top of the beer that wouldn't go to the bottom. It is not foam, like mid fermentation, but it looks like what should normally be at the bottom of the fermenter.

Fortunately, I have a tap on the fermenter, so I bottled leaving as much as I could at the top and bottom of the fermenter. Unfortunately, however, there is a lot of yeast in the bottles and they have hardened up already (two days).

Also, I have yeast floating on top of the beer in the bottles and there is a yeast layer formed on the bottle at the top of the beer.

With that said, my questions are as follows...

Is this normal for this strain of yeast?

Is it possible for over carbonation to happen if too much yeast got in the bottle, regardless of how much sugar was primed?

Do you think I should swirl the beer to get rid of the yeast layer at the top of the bottle? I have done this with a couple and 'bits' fell into the beer, so hopefully they should fall to the bottom of the bottle.

Cheers

Yeah sometimes it helps to break the surface tension. Cold crashing will also make it drop. You don't have any worry about bottle bombs though as long as the FG is where you want it.

"Yeast boats"

they are just the stronger yeasts refusing to go down with the ship once their food has run out, "aarrgghhh!"

They're actually Yeast Pirates Matey, come to make ye grog!

us05 flocs real well ive havent had it do that yet but anythings possible. did you use whirlfloc or irish moss at all? As Duece said, give it a little swirl n see if it drops out, when you chill the beer it should almost certainly fall out.

No I did not use anything. Would it have helped if I did? I do have some, but I didn't use it. I did not forget, I just didn't bother.

Latest posts

Back