SA Ruthless Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I recently bought another 12 pack of this. It seems to me as they improved the recipe by giving it a more pronounced rye presence. Anyone else notice this too, or is it just me and a year gone by?

It's a little different every year; it wasn't as bitter as I like last year. I haven't had this year's bunch, guess I'll pick some up on my way home.

It's more rye upfront. I think last years seemed hoppier.

I thought it was just me. I liked it more the first year. Its very ryeish this year to me. I just noticed some nice hop character I didn't before from the other 2 bottles I had previous also. It was never my favorate I would take Hoprod rye or founders red rye or even two brothers cane and ebel over it anyday.

I've not been exposed to many rye beers.

My first was at a local brew pub that made a rye wit that's quite good. It's what pushed me to make a rye pale, which was good, except I cut back a little on the rye (and 2-row).

Last year's Ruthless left me wanting as the rye was in the background. This year it's more upfront, though it seems to drown out the hops a bit.

I still prefer it over last year's though.

I really like it this year, I would go as far to say its my favorite beer of 2014, so far. I didn't think last years was as good.

I really like it this year, I would go as far to say its my favorite beer of 2014, so far. I didn't think last years was as good.

Have you had Hopslam this year if you like it. Its one Im missing out on yet not really my favorate either.

I have not. I have had it and loved it!

I typically buy a variety pack of some sort to try various stuff or something I've yet to try. I've also been on an ESB kick.

Im drinking one right now. As others have said, more rye and less hop flavor over last year's brew. Good, but I would enjoy the hop character from last year (with the current year's rye character).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It does have so much less hop character I'd think it'd be a hoppy rye pale almost.

It'd be nice if it was given more hoppiness, but with this much rye upfront. i love that rye flavor!!!!

It makes me want to ask Yooper what she thinks, if she"s tried it as she helped me with my rye pale recipe, and likes plenty of rye too. Yooper???

Is that because you miss the hop profile or don't care as much for the rye?

I loved last year's hoppiness, but thought the rye was too subdued. Hard to call it Ruthless Rye with barely a rye presence….

Have you had Hopslam this year if you like it. Its one Im missing out on yet not really my favorate either.

I sort of thought hopslam was a let down this year and last years. But it could be that my senses have shifted due to drinking so many insanely hopped beers over the last couple years. Still great though!

I thought ruthless was awesome. I've never had it before my wife walked in the door last weekend with it. She bought it because it looked cool lol. As far as hopslam goes I think it was good as well but not $18 a sixer good. If it was $12 or less and available year round I would probably buy it every time I buy beer.

Sent from my iPhone

Were it to have the rye profile of this year, but with last year's hop presence, I'd think it perfect.

Between the two I think I prefer this year's as it's less just another IPA.

No aficionado, but liked it. Not sure if you equate rye to 'peppery' but that's what I got. And I'm an IPA guy.

Were it to have the rye profile of this year, but with last year's hop presence, I'd think it perfect.

Between the two I think I prefer this year's as it's less just another IPA.

Just finished one and this is exactly what I think. I thought the rye was too weak before.

It was sooo weak last year I didn't bother buying any more of it. The year before that was OK, but what turned me on to rye was a local brew pub's rye wit that I wasn't interested much in except for the rye, and would often buy one or get SWMBO to get one so I could steal swigs when she wasn't looking! It also pushed me into doing my first partial mash making a rye pale, which was pretty good I must say!

Back