S23 yeast 6-8months old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
So our last yeast buy with the brew club which in thinking was about 6-8 months ago now i bought 1/4 brick of S-23.
Its been in ziplock in my controlled keezer at 4-5c since and ive been helping my self as i chose.

How long will it keep for like this?.
Should i rehydrate everytime i use it now?.
I probably have enough left for 2batches if that.

Thanks

If you doubt it, and there's only enough for 2 more batches, then getting new yeast seems kinda obvious to me.

If you ever doubt your yeast, proofing it is the best plan. Google. Old bakers always proofed yeast. But I'll tell you my general advice, and this is how I roll: don't screw with the yeast. There is no easier way to FUBAR your beer than to start with bad yeast.

Regarding stored dry yeast, not sure how long it's good after opening. I can tell you that the ubiquitous Nottingham had a major problem 5 (more?) years ago when the machine they used to stamp the born-on date started poking tiny holes in the packet. Tons of people had bad experience with that yeast (including moi). So a tiny hole, admitting O2 and moisture into the packet, caused a pretty big problem.

You should rehydrate dry yeast every time you use it regardless of its age. If you don't rehydrate you may kill up to 50% of the yeast as the dry yeasts cannot control the absorption of the sugary wort and may die from it.

I store bread yeast in my refrigerator ( I know, it isn't beer yeast) in a jar and open it to make bread with a little, then put the lid back on and return it to the refrigerator. I've never had it fail to raise the bread dough even if the last of it is many months old. I've also used half a package of dry yeast and stored that in the refrigerator for up to 6 months with nothing but the pouch folded over and secured with a clothes pin. It still makes beer.

Back